Kent apartment fire displaces three
January 31, 2011 · Updated 3:01 PM
An adult and two young children were displaced after a Kent fire at about 11 a.m. Monday at an apartment complex in the 2500 block of South 272nd Street on the West Hill.
The fire was caused by hot oil left unattended on a stove, according to a Kent Fire Department media release.
No one was hurt in the fire. The adult and children are being care for by other family members and the Red Cross.
An audible fire alarm to all of the residents in the apartment building alerted people to the fire. It is unclear whether the unit itself had working smoke alarms.
Firefighters from Kent and South King Fire and Rescue, which serves Des Moines, Federal Way and parts of unincorporated King County, controlled the fire and limited damage to the apartment where the fire started. One upstairs apartment unit had a light haze of smoke that dissipated over time.
Fire officials said the incident is a reminder that a working smoke alarm gives you extra time to evacuate a home. Batteries should be changed at least once a year in smoke alarms.