- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Apartment fire displaces two Kent residents | Kent Regional Fire Authority
Two Kent residents were displaced from their home today when a fire started in their apartment, located in the 25100 block of 97 Pl. S.
No one was in the apartment when the fire was reported at 6:32 p.m.. The two residents are being cared for by family. The apartment directly above the fire apartment was evacuated initially as a precaution. Those residents were allowed to return after a short period of time. That apartment did not sustain any damage. There were no reports of any injuries.
Several pets were caught in the fire. Two lizards and a dog died from smoke inhalation. Another dog was rescued by firefighters and revived using a specially designed oxygen mask. This mask is part of an aid kit donated to the Kent Fire Department by a Kent resident who was concerned about just such a situation.
The kit contains several masks designed to fit over the muzzles of cats and dogs. While it does not allow firefighters to perform CPR on animals, it does allow oxygen to be administered to larger animals.
Often, this is all the aid necessary. Animals, being low to the floor of a residence are in the coolest and cleanest air during a fire. Therefore, administering high levels of oxygen for a period of time is often all that is needed to revive them.
If there is a survivable environment in a fire, it will be near the floor. This is why fire departments recommend people “crawl low under smoke” to escape. A fire can be over 1000 degrees near the ceiling but only 200-300 near the floor, which is survivable for a short period of time.
The Kent Fire Department will always do its best to rescue pets and render assistance to them whenever possible. The welfare of residents, major property, and the environment remain our highest priority, however. In this instance, thanks to the generosity of a local resident and quick thinking firefighters, at least one pet was saved.
The fire is currently under investigation.