Kent officer busts down fence to catch escaping inmate | Police Blotter

Kent Police blotter report. - CHARLES CORTES, Kent Reporter
Kent Police blotter report.
— image credit: CHARLES CORTES, Kent Reporter

A Kent Police officer's decision to go through a fence rather than over it helped him catch an escaping inmate from the city jail when the fence fell on the 24-year-old man.

Police received a call at about 6:39 p.m. Aug. 18 that a work release inmate had fled the jail on foot, according to the police report. The jail is at 1230 Central Ave. S.

The man fled south from the jail and kept running despite commands from the officer to stop. After a short chase through the Green River Estates condo complex, the man jumped over a fence.

The officer reported that he decided to use his shoulder to crash through the fence and when he came to a rest on the other side he realized that the inmate was underneath him and not able to go anywhere.

Officers then placed the man in handcuffs and returned him to the jail.

The inmate also had a handcuff key in his pants pocket, but told officers he did not know for sure how he ended up with the key.


Police arrested a man for investigation of second-degree assault after he reportedly pointed a gun at his girlfriend's head during a dispute Aug. 16 at a home in the 3600 block of South 241st Street.

The woman told officers that her boyfriend became upset she had spent money from their checking account on slot machines at a casino and accused her of having an affair with another man, according to the police report.

They have dated for about 10 years and live together with their three children. The woman told police she came home from work and her boyfriend wanted to know about several small cash withdrawals from their account.

Because her boyfriend is unemployed, the woman told police she thought she could win a little money to help them get ahead by playing the slot machines.

The boyfriend became angry and reportedly accused the woman of having an affair because men are at casinos. He followed her into the bathroom and began to grab her hair and punch her.

He later returned to the bathroom with a gun, pointed it at the woman's temple and threatened to kill her. He then lowered the gun and yelled at his girlfriend to get out of the house.

When the woman returned later to the house with a friend, the boyfriend had tossed her clothes onto the front lawn. She picked up her things and went to a friend's house in Federal Way.

The woman denied that she had an affair. Her boyfriend showed up Aug. 18 at her friend's house in Federal Way and started to chase her through the garage before leaving.

The boyfriend remained Aug. 22 in the King County jail at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent with bail set at $150,000.


Police arrested a woman for investigation of possession of drug paraphernalia as well as for an Auburn warrant for possession of drug paraphernalia.

A resident reported to officers that a woman was in the 9400 block of Canyon Road at about 6:15 p.m. Aug. 16 and appeared to be on drugs, according to the police report.

Officers arrived to find the woman and noted she could not sit still and could barely walk. They offered to give her a ride home when she told them she had a warrant for her arrest.

She also told officers she had a crack pipe in her purse. Police found out the woman had a warrant out of Auburn. They also found a glass pipe, a crack pipe and a scale with white powder on it in the woman's purse.

The woman admitted to police that she smoked crack cocaine and meth. Police later turned the woman over to Auburn Police on the warrant charge.


Police arrested a man for investigation of third-degree theft and making a false statement to a public servant after he reportedly stole a bag of diapers at about 4:30 p.m. Aug. 16 from a store in the 13100 block of Southeast Kent Kangley Road.

Store security told officers they saw the man remove one bag of diapers from his personal bag and then grab another bag of diapers, according to the police report. The man did not attempt to pay for the diapers before leaving the store.

The man told officers he had purchased the wrong diapers but did not have a receipt, so he decided to make the exchange on his own. He also initially gave police an alias rather than his real name.

Police cited the man and released him.



We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates