- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Kent Police investigate two sexual assaults on East Hill; suspect remains on the loose
Kent Police are investigating two sexual assaults against women that occurred this past weekend on the East Hill.
In the first case, a woman was accosted at about 10 p.m. Saturday in the 12900 block of Kent Kangley Road, according to a Tuesday Kent Police media release.
The second incident occurred at 7:30 p.m. Sunday in the 26200 block of 116th Avenue Southeast, just north of the Kent Kangley Road. In each case a man approached the women, inferred that he had a weapon, and then forced each woman to a secluded spot where she was assaulted.
In both cases, the man has been described as a light-skinned black male ages 18 to 19 with short black hair. He is about 5 feet 8 inches tall and described as having a slender build. Police investigators are working with the women to develop a composite drawing of their assailant.
“There are clear similarities in each case that lead us to believe we have a single suspect,” said Kent Police Lt. Pat Lowery. “We want to ensure that the public is aware of these circumstances and remain vigilant for this man."
Lowery described steps that pedestrians can use to ensure their safety:
• Be alert to your surroundings and avoid darkened areas.
• Avoid walking close to bushes, darkened doorways and other places of concealment.
• Walk on the side of the street that has the best lighting and don't walk alone.
• If you are followed, get away quickly and move to crowded areas.
• If in danger, run, scream, or create a disturbance to attract attention.
• Carry keys in a clenched hand and use them to poke or punch if necessary.
Kent Police want to speak to anyone who may have information about these crimes or the person committing them. Detectives are also interested in speaking with anyone that may have had recent contact with a similarly described person along the Kent Kangley Road corridor.
Anyone with information should call Kent Police at 253-856-5808. All calls will be treated confidentially and callers may stay anonymous.