News

Early morning duplex fire in Kent accidental | Kent Regional Fire Authority

Kent Regional Fire Authority firefighters responded to an early morning blaze. - Photo courtesy Capt. Kyle Ohashi
Kent Regional Fire Authority firefighters responded to an early morning blaze.
— image credit: Photo courtesy Capt. Kyle Ohashi

An early morning duplex fire in Kent has been ruled “accidental” by fire investigators after examining the physical evidence in the building and speaking with the woman who was on scene at the time of the fire.

The woman, who was transported to a local hospital for treatment, confirmed what investigators had suspected.

The fire began in a bedroom of the duplex, possibly caused by an unattended candle. The fire spread quickly before anyone called 911 and was coming out of the windows by the time firefighters arrived.

The woman does not live at the residence and officially the building was unoccupied. According to investigators, no criminal charges are being filed at this time and the property owners have also declined to press charges.

The owners plan on placing a fence around the property to deter further trespassing.

The first 911 call took place at 4:47 a.m.. The address was 22000 block of 84 Avenue South

 


View Larger Map

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Dec 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates