Woman jumps on car's hood in Kent chasing mother, son | Police Blotter

Kent Police Blotter. - Kent Reporter, file photo
Kent Police Blotter.
— image credit: Kent Reporter, file photo

Kent Police arrested a woman for investigation of third-degree malicious mischief after she reportedly jumped on the hood of a car and cracked the windshield with her fists.

The woman chased the car, driven by her mother with her son inside, at about 1:02 p.m. May 12 in the 10000 block of Southeast 240th Street, according to the police report.

All three were in the 2004 Chevy Malibu on the way to an eye appointment in Kent for the boy when the two women started to argue. The daughter, who was driving, then threw her mother's purse out of the car window.

The daughter stopped the car at a nearby gas station and the mother got out to look for her purse. When the daughter went inside the station's store, the mother reportedly took the car with the boy inside and started to drive away.

The daughter ran after the car, jumped on the hood and demanded to be let in as she pounded on the windshield about four times with her fists and broke the glass.

Officers arrived and handcuffed the daughter, who then started to bang her head against the patrol car. The woman also started to spit at officers, so they placed a netting similar to a fish net over the woman's head to stop her from spitting.

The mother told police that her daughter had a history of mental illness, including a bipolar disorder. Police allowed the mother of the daughter to keep custody of the young boy.


Officers cited a man for investigation of fourth-degree assault after he allegedly tried to choke a man on a Metro bus.

The incident occurred on a bus May 12 in the 20100 block of 108th Avenue Southeast, according to the police report.

Police received a call that a man in his late 20s was intoxicated and yelling at passengers on the bus. Witnesses said that an elderly woman entered the bus and asked to sit in the handicapped area near the front of the bus where the man sat. The man refused to get up and began to yell at the woman.

That reaction upset other passengers who yelled at the man to move. In response, the man screamed and cursed at the passengers.

One man began to tape the incident with his cellphone, so the man got up and tried to slap away the phone. He then reportedly grabbed the man around the neck to strangle him before the man responded with a punch to the intoxicated man's nose.

Officers arrived to find the man extremely intoxicated, with a bloody nose and smelling of alcohol. They escorted him off the bus to the applause of other passengers.

Police found papers on the man that showed he had been admitted earlier in the day for extreme intoxication to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The man was taken back to the hospital and cited via mail.


A man pushed away one security officer and punched another one as they attempted to stop him for shoplifting May 15 at Kmart in the 24800 block of West Valley Highway.

The two loss prevention officers watched the man take headphones and put them in his pocket without paying for them and then tried to stop him outside the store, according to the police report.

Once outside, the man pushed away one officer and punched the other one in the face and then fled on foot across the parking lot. The man dropped a backpack that contained two small bottles of alcohol and spare change.

Police closed the case because of a lack of suspect information.


Police arrested a man for investigation of possession of drug paraphernalia after stopping a vehicle at about 6:19 p.m. May 13 along Canyon Road near Southeast 252nd Street.

Witnesses initially reported three males and one female smoking marijuana in a vehicle at the Kiwanis Park, 500 W. Crowe St., according to the police report.

Officers followed the car as it left the park and pulled it over along Canyon Road. The officer said he could smell marijuana when he walked up the car's window.

One of the passengers said the marijuana belonged to him and pulled a glass pipe out of his pocket. Officers took the pipe and arrested the man.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates