Mother leaves 3-year-old son in vehicle while inside Kent casino gambling | Police Blotter

Kent Police Blotter. - Kent Reporter, file photo
Kent Police Blotter.
— image credit: Kent Reporter, file photo

Kent Police cited a woman for investigation of child neglect after she reportedly left her 3-year-old son alone in a vehicle for more than 20 minutes while she gambled at the Great American Casino, 20500 108th Ave. S.E.

The incident occurred at about 12:02 p.m. Nov. 17 after a casino employee spotted the boy alone in a Toyota 4Runner with a window partway down, according to the police report.

When police arrived, an officer talked to the boy who said he was cold. The boy pointed toward the casino when asked where his mother had gone.

The mother walked out of the casino a few minutes later and initially told officers she was only inside for about five minutes. She said she was out of gas and gas money and decided to spend her last $5 to get more money.

Officers looked at casino video surveillance and determined the woman played Spanish 21, a variation of blackjack, at a table. She had entered the casino at about 11:40 a.m., cashed $25 worth of chips and didn't leave until shortly after noon.

When told about the video, the woman admitted she had spent $25 to gamble. Officers also noted that the gas gauge showed full on the 4Runner. The woman claimed she lived in Tacoma and had come to Kent to visit a friend. A casino employee told officers the woman lived in Kent and was a regular customer.

Officers told the mother that Child Protective Services would be contacted about the incident. CPS conducts family assessments, separate from the criminal investigation.

Police also cited the woman for driving while license suspended. The woman told police she knew she had a suspended license but she still needed to get around.


Police arrested a man for investigation of fourth-degree assault after he reportedly punched his girlfriend in the face during a dispute at about 3:10 p.m. Nov. 19 in an apartment parking lot in the 10900 block of Southeast 256th Street.

A witness called police after the man reportedly struck the woman in the parking lot of the apartment complex, according to the police report.

Anther witness said she later heard a man and woman yelling from inside the apartment, including a yell of "help" from the woman.

Police knocked on the apartment door three times, but no one answered. They saw someone moving inside. The officers got a key from the apartment manager to open the door.

Four officers entered the unit and found the man and woman inside on a bed. The couple said they did not hear the knocks on the door.

The woman had a swollen eye that she told officers she hurt at work. The man had scratches on his hand that he said happened at his work. The man and woman each denied any dispute between them.

Reckless endangerment

Officers cited a man for investigation of reckless endangerment after he allegedly smashed his vehicle intentionally into another car at about 11:33 a.m. Nov. 18 in the 24000 block of 109th Ave. S.E.

The man contacted officers to stand by as he tried to get his vehicle back from a former girlfriend, according to the police report.

When the man knocked on an apartment door, another man answered and said the woman was not at home. Officers then left because the man had a civil order to get the car back.

About one hour later, police returned to the scene after a report of a traffic accident. Officers found two cars with bumper damage. The first man looking to get his car back reportedly rammed his car into another vehicle to stop it from leaving the apartment complex parking lot. The man said he also owned that car, a Honda Odyssey. He had showed up at the apartment to claim a Mercedes Benz.


Police arrested a woman for investigation of fourth-degree assault after she reportedly scratched an officer when she refused to cooperate with policeĀ  responding to a report of a woman acting aggressively toward family members.

Officers responded to the call Nov. 18 in the 24100 block of 62nd Way South and found the woman walking along West Smith Street, according to the police report.

When officers tried to stop the woman to talk to her, she yelled at them that she didn't have to talk to them. When she continued to walk away, an officer grabbed her arm. The woman allegedly dug her nails into the officer's arm and caused it to bleed.

It took two officers to handcuff the woman. She refused to answer any questions and would not bend her legs to be placed into a patrol car, so officers noted they forced her into the car.


Officers arrested a store employee for investigation of third-degree theft after he reportedly took cash from a register Nov. 20 at the Fred Meyer store, 10201 S.E. 240th St.

A loss prevention officer at the store told officers the man had taken $60 from the register and put the money in his pocket, according to the police report.

The employee told police he took the money so he could buy drugs. He said he was addicted to smoking Percocet, a painkiller. He said he planned to buy some more pills with the money.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 14
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates