Kent mobile home fire displaces five people

Four adults and a child were displaced following a fire at their home in the 11300 block of Southeast 227 Place.

Kent firefighters were dispatched at 8:30 p.m. Sunday and found a fire spreading underneath the single-wide mobile home. By quickly cutting a hole in the floor, they were able to access and extinguish the fire before it spread into the living space.

Everyone who lives in the home was able to get out safely after discovering the fire. No one was injured. The family will be staying with relatives.

Fire investigators have determined that a malfunctioning furnace was where the fire originated. Flames penetrated the ducting and spread to the underside of the home.

The fire is considered accidental.

It is unknown whether there were working smoke alarms in the home.

Editor's note: This story has been corrected as far as the number of people displaced.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates