- About Us
Alleged pimp now faces Kent trial date in May
A man who reportedly made nearly $200,000 as a pimp in Kent and Seattle had his trial date continued to May 6 for charges of promoting prostitution, leading organized crime, promoting sexual abuse of a minor and other offenses.
More time was needed to complete witness interviews, said Dan Donohoe, spokesman for the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office, in an email about the reason for the new date.
Shacon Fontane Barbee, 33, of Seattle, had been scheduled to go to trial on Tuesday, March 12. He had an initial trial date of September 2011 after his arrest by Kent Police in December 2010. His trial date has been continued several times. Barbee remains in the county jail at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent. Bail was set at $500,000.
Barbee allegedly made at least $192,000 as a pimp during one eight-month period, according to charging papers filed against Barbee by King County prosecutors.
A then 19-year-old prostitute told detectives that she earned about $2,000 per week mainly from working along Pacific Highway South in Kent and Denny Way in Seattle. She gave all of that money to Barbee.
Barbee pleaded not guilty to the charges against him. The charges include three counts of promoting commercial sexual abuse of a minor; first-degree promoting prostitution; second-degree promoting prostitution; and leading organized crime. He also is charged with three counts of first-degree theft in connection with wrongfully obtaining money from the Social Security Administration and one count of tampering with a witness.
If convicted as charged, Barbee could face up to 15 years in prison.