- About Us
Prosecutors still reviewing Terrence Williams assault case in Kent
King County prosecutors are still trying to decide whether to file assault charges against NBA free agent Terrence Williams in connection with his May 19 arrest in Kent.
The case is "still under review," according to a Tuesday email from Dan Donohoe, spokesman for the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.
Kent Police arrested Williams, 26, for investigation of second-degree assault after he allegedly displayed a handgun to a former girlfriend during a scheduled visitation exchange of their 10-year-old son. He appeared May 20 in King County Superior Court in Kent for a bail hearing, which was set at $25,000. Williams posted bail later that evening.
At the time of his arrest, Williams was a member of the Boston Celtics. The Celtics released Williams in July and he remains a free agent. He played at Seattle's Rainier Beach High School and at the University of Louisville. The Houston Rockets picked him 11th overall in the 2009 NBA Draft.
According to probable cause documents, the woman reported that Williams arrived at her home for a scheduled visitation exchange of their son. She said during the exchange in the apartment parking lot area an argument ensued. The woman reported that during the argument Williams brandished a firearm and made threats.
Defense attorney Aaron Kiviat said in court in May that that the mother of their child was the initial aggressor when she banged on the vehicle door. He also added that he understands there was another witness present who tells a different story than what police have released so far.
Kiviat released the following statement after Williams posted bail:
"We have presented to the prosecution statements from impartial witnesses that support Mr Williams’ contention that he was in fear for his safety and only acting in self defense. Although this is still an ongoing investigation, Terrence is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing his time and energy on his family and career.”