- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Firefighters combat Kent house fire near Lake Meridian
Discarded wood stove ashes left near a deck caused a house fire Wednesday in the 26100 block of 145th Avenue Southeast, according to investigators for the Kent Fire Department Regional Fire Authority.
Firefighters were dispatched to the single story home at 5:30 p.m. and found the back deck and its roof burning, according to a Kent Fire Department media release. The house is just north of Lake Meridian.
It took firefighters approximately 30 minutes to get the fire under control. With an aggressive attack of the fire, they were able to limit the damage to one half of the home.
Only one of the two residents was home at the time of the fire. A woman was able to escape safely. Six cats in the house all survived.
Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the displaced residents.
The fire is considered accidental and was caused by the still-hot ashes being placed in a combustible container and left near the wood deck.
When discarding ashes remember to place them in a metal container with a tight fitting lid and store them away from any combustibles, according to fire officials. Ashes can contain embers that may continue to smolder for several days after the fire is extinguished.