- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Kent Fire Department neutralizes jug of acid found in QFC parking lot
The hazardous materials team from the Kent Fire Department Regional Fire Authority used baking soda to neutralize acid in a milk jug that created a vapor cloud at about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday in the QFC store parking lot on the East Hill.
Fire personnel were uncertain what they might find as they responded to a report of an unknown liquid in a gallon milk jug left in the parking lot at 132nd Avenue Southeast and Southeast 240th Street.
The first arriving fire department emergency unit reported the jug was about 30 feet from the front of the building, had spilled and was creating a vapor cloud, according to a Kent Fire Department media release.
The fire department shut down the parking lot and store to the public to test the liquid. They found it was an acid that they neutralized at the scene with baking soda. No injuries were reported.
Emergency personnel were unable to determine the source of the jug of acid.