News

Firefighters put out condo fire; no one injured

Firefighters work to douse a fire that severely damaged a condo unit in Kent on Saturday. No one was injured in the fire. - Courtesy photo/Kent Fire Department
Firefighters work to douse a fire that severely damaged a condo unit in Kent on Saturday. No one was injured in the fire.
— image credit: Courtesy photo/Kent Fire Department

No one was injured in a condo fire Saturday afternoon in the 1800 block of Maple Lane, Kent.

The fire was first reported by neighbors at 2:23 p.m., who checked and made sure no one was in the affected unit. Everyone in the building was able to get out safely.

The fire started on the upper story deck of one unit and spread to the attic space through bird blocking. The common attic was charged with smoke and heat. Firefighters cut several holes in the roof to allow the trapped heat to escape while they fought the fire from inside the condo.

While the unit where the fire started was heavily damaged, only one other unit was affected and that homeowner was allowed to reoccupy her condo after a short delay.

The cause of the fire was improperly discarded cigarettes that smoldered and ignited the wood deck and siding. It is considered accidental.

Fire units from the Kent Fire Department RFA and the Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to the call.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 12 edition online now. Browse the archives.