- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Kent mobile home fire displaces resident
For the Reporter
One person was displaced Monday evening when a fire broke out in the attic space of a mobile home in the 11500 block of Southeast 208 Street at 9 o'clock.
One occupant was home at the time of the fire and evacuated after her smoke alarm activated. There were no injuries.
When firefighters from the Kent Fire Department Regional Fire Authority and the Renton Fire Department arrived, they found flames coming out of several attic vents along the roofline. A quick attack of the fire limited the damage to the room of origin.
The investigation following the fire found a great deal of charring in the attic space, indicating the fire burned for an extended period of time before the smoke alarm activated. This is not unusual since the ceiling blocks smoke in the attic from setting the alarm off until it has sufficient pressure to push into the living space of the home, fire officials said.
Authorities said the cause of the fire was a malfunction in a bathroom ceiling fan. The fire is considered accidental.