DRIVER ALERT: Major lane closure this weekend - plan for backups on I-405, SR 167
October 7, 2009 · Updated 3:38 PM
Major delays are expected this weekend on southbound I-405 as crews narrow traffic to just two lanes for highway construction. Drivers should prepare to use alternate routes or expect lengthy backups between SR 167 and Southcenter.
“Our traffic experts tell us 30 percent of traffic needs to use alternative routes,” said Jon Harris WSDOT Project Engineer. “If not, drivers could be stuck in traffic for up to an hour.”
During the closure, crews will remove and replace 34 old, cracked and worn out concrete panels in the far right lane.
· Crews will close the right lane on southbound I-405 between Oakesdale Avenue SW and SR 181 starting at 10 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9 until 5 a.m. Monday, October 12.
· During construction, the southbound I-405 carpool lane will be open to all traffic through the work zone.
· The off-ramp from southbound I-405 to SR 181 also will close nightly from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 9 and Saturday, Oct. 10.
· Crews will remove and replace 34 damaged concrete roadway panels.
· Two of three southbound lanes will remain open during the closure.
· The I-90 express lanes will run westbound all weekend except between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Sunday to relieve Seahawks traffic.
Drivers can stay on top of traffic by checking the Web at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic and by calling 511. Local television and radio stations will also have information about this high-impact closure.
The work depends on dry weather. If it rains heavily, the work will be rescheduled for the next weekend. At this time, the weather outlook is good. Crews will pour concrete in addition to lane striping and cleanup work.
The work is part of the $91.5 million I-405/I-5 to SR 169 Stage 1 widening project funded by the 2003 and 2005 gas tax increases. WSDOT and contractor crews are building a new lane in each direction on I-405 between I-5 and SR 167 and a new lane on southbound SR 167 between I-405 and SW 41st Street.
Seattle-bound drivers looking for alternate routes around the closure to can use SR 900 (Sunset Boulevard in Renton) or northbound I-405 to westbound I-90 to get to I-5. For alternate route maps and project information please visit: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/i405/I5toSR169/