Man sentenced for Kent rape of 14-year-old girl

A 31-year-old man was sentenced Jan. 6 to a minimum of 7 years, 2 months in prison for the second-degree rape in August 2008 of a 14-year-old runaway girl in Kent.

John Biel had temporarily moved in 2008 to Kent from Nebraska en route to working in the fishing industry in Alaska, according to court documents.

Kent Police arrested Biel in August 2008 for investigation of second-degree rape after a 14-year-old girl called 911 to report a man she met a bus shelter at 64th Avenue South and West Meeker Street allegedly had raped her at a nearby apartment.

A jury convicted Biel Nov. 12, 2009 of second-degree rape.

King County Superior Court Judge Laura Middaugh sentenced Biel at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center. Biel will serve a minimum of 7 years, 2 months in prison. After Biel completes that sentence, he could serve more time, possibly up to life, said Dan Donohoe, spokesman for the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

According to court documents, the girl had been kicked out of her mother's home in February 2007 and stayed nights outside when she didn't stay at the home of her friend's parents.

At about midnight on Aug. 4, 2008, the girl sat down at a bus shelter at 64th Avenue South and Meeker Street. She intended to stay there until about 7 a.m. when she could go stay at a friend's house.

Biel had recently arrived in town from Nebraska and on Aug. 4 asked a friend he knew from the Sudan to stay at his apartment until he left for Alaska. Biel walked to the bus stop on 64th Avenue South later that evening and struck up a conversation with the 14-year-old girl. Biel told the girl she could come over to his apartment and the girl agreed.

While at the apartment, the girl went into a bedroom to sleep when Biel offered her some alcohol to drink. The girl had a drink, talked to Biel for awhile, and then went to sleep after Biel left the bedroom.

Biel returned later and laid down next to the girl on the bed. The girl tried to resist Biel, but got on top of her and pinned her down.

Another man at the apartment knocked on the bedroom door. Biel answered the door. The girl then ran out of the apartment.

When detectives interviewed Biel, he told them he had slept through the night. He denied going to the bus shelter or being with the girl during the night.

Detectives found a blood stain on Biel's shirt that tested positive for the girl's blood. Police had taken the bed sheets from the apartment and clothing of Biel into evidence.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates