Tasered man chews, licks dart; man smacks brother in the head with baseball bat | Kent Police Blotter

Disorderly conduct

A man Tasered March 3 by Kent Police reportedly wasn't fazed by it, going so far as to pull the Taser dart out of his stomach, chewing and licking it a bit.

Police arrested the 35-year-old for investigation of disorderly conduct after he reportedly refused to leave a 24-hour restaurant at about 3:47 a.m. March 3 in the 12900 block of Southeast Kent-Kangley Road.

Officers used a Taser gun to shoot the man in the stomach with two darts after he refused numerous orders to get down on the ground, according to the police report.

But the darts didn't faze him. He even removed one of the darts from his stomach, licked the dart, chewed it a bit and then tossed the dart on the ground. The other dart got stuck in the man's clothing and did not hit his stomach.

Eventually, the man got down on the ground and three officers were able to handcuff him.

The incident started when the man walked into the restaurant smoking a cigarette and carrying a large white bag. When told by the manager he could not smoke in the restaurant, the man became hostile and started to curse at employees. A restaurant employee then called police.

When police arrived at the restaurant, they found the man standing outside of the entrance talking on a cell phone. When officers asked the man to end the call, he said he was on the phone with his lawyer.

When the man refused to cooperate, the officers ordered him to the ground, but he told them the police couldn't tell him what to do. The man had his fists clenched and started to walk away when an officer used a Taser gun in an effort to stop the man.


Kent Police arrested a 20-year-old man for investigation of second-degree assault after he allegedly hit his 24-year-old brother with a baseball bat during a fight at about 12:54 a.m. March 3 at a home in the 27700 block of 148th Way Southeast.

The two brothers were watching a movie at their home with about three friends when the brothers started to argue about it getting too cold in the room because of an outside door that was open, according to the police report.

The older brother reportedly punched his brother in the face. The younger brother then went upstairs and came back downstairs carrying an aluminum baseball bat.

The incident resumed on an outdoor porch when the younger brother started to hit his brother in the head with a baseball bat. The older brother held up a plastic patio chair to defend himself, but the chair was shattered by the younger brother swinging the bat.

When police arrived at the home, they found the older brother bleeding and with a golf ball-sized lump on his head. Paramedics took the older brother to a hospital where he was treated for a concussion and released.

The mother of the boys had been asleep upstairs when she heard voices downstairs. She saw the brothers fighting on the living room floor after a friend of the men had taken the bat away from the younger brother.

Police returned to the home the next day to locate the bat, but did not find it. The older brother told officers he did not know where to find the bat.


Police arrested an 18-year-old woman for investigation of third-degree theft after she allegedly took a bottle of hard lemonade and a bottle of Mojito at about 6:26 p.m. March 3 from a store in the 26000 block of 104th Avenue Southeast.

Store security watched the woman walk down an aisle and place two bottles of alcohol drinks in her purse and then exit the store with no attempt to pay for the items, according to the police report.

A store employee stopped the woman in the parking lot and found the two bottles of alcohol in her purse. The bottles were valued at $1.99 each.

The woman told the officers she did not know why she took the items.


Officers arrested a 23-year-old man for investigation of possession of marijuana in connection with an incident at about 2:05 p.m. March 2 in the 300 block of North Railroad Avenue.

A bicycle patrol officer smelled the burnt odor of marijuana as he rode past a bus shelter, according to the police report.

Police found a man seated on a bench in the shelter and holding a lighter. Officers asked the man about 10 times for his identification before he gave it to them.

The man also tried to use his cell phone, but police told him he could not make a call while they were talking to him in order to protect the safety of the officers.

Police found a small amount of marijuana in the man's pockets and in a bag he carried.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates