News

Kitchen fire displaces Kent family

A kitchen fire caused by a smoking pan of oil on the stove at about 7:15 p.m. June 28 displaced a Kent family of three from an apartment in the 23500 block of 58th Avenue South.

A smoke detector alerted the family to the fire, according to a Kent Fire Department media release. The residents, who called 911, fanned the smoke and used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

Kent firefighters discovered the fire had extended into the kitchen cabinets and extinguished the remainder of the fire hidden in the cabinets.

The family will receive temporary housing through the Red Cross because of the smoke damage to the apartment.

There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters.

The best way to extinguish a fire in a pan of oil on the stove is to put a lid on it, fire officials said.

EMAIL NEWSLETTERS

Latest news, top stories, and community events,
delivered to your inbox.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 26 edition online now. Browse the archives.