The city of Kent is seeking residents to serve on the Parks & Recreation Commission.
The 16-member commission meets the fourth Tuesday of each month, 6 to 8 p.m., at the Centennial Center, 400 West Gowe St., in downtown Kent.
Applications can be submitted at KentWA.gov. The deadline to apply is March 21. Contact ParksRecreation@KentWA.gov with questions.
Volunteers serve three-year terms and their roles are advisory in nature. They make reports and recommendations to the mayor, City Council and city staff concerning parks and recreation issues including:
• Ways to advocate public support, involvement and funding of Kent parks, facilities and programs
• Opportunities to engage the public in decisions affecting Kent parks, facilities and programs
• Budget recommendations for the acquisition, development and operation of parks, facilities, and programs
• Policy recommendations
• Comprehensive parks and trails planning
• Priorities for the acquisition of land and/or facilities
• Development, design and operation of parks, facilities and programs
• Capital improvements planning
• Rules, regulations or other restrictions applicable to parks, facilities and programs
• Concessions at park facilities
• Contracts, interlocal agreements and lease agreements regarding parks and recreation activities
• Other matters that the mayor, city council or parks director may refer to the commission for its consideration and recommendation.