City officials remind residents that fireworks are illegal in Kent

Second year of ban in town; violators face $250 fine

Kent city officials want to remind residents that fireworks are illegal in town.

The city’s ban prohibits the sale, possession and use of all consumer fireworks as part of an effort to eliminate fires, injuries and fire-related complaints.

This year marks the second year for the city’s ban, approved by the City Council after a 2015 advisory ballot measure showed nearly 67 percent of voters supported the ban.

Violators could face a $250 fine and have their fireworks confiscated.

Kent Police will conduct emphasis patrols and respond to reports of fireworks to issue citations and enforce the ban.

Police Chief Rafael Padilla, however, said officers won’t be able to respond to all complaints.

“It’s important for our community to understand that we are going to do our very best to respond to fireworks complaints, but we know going into this year’s holiday that we simply do not have the resources to get to them all,” Padilla said in a city media release. “Protecting lives and preserving property will be the priority. If last year is any indication of how things will go, we will have our hands full simply responding to the emergency 911 calls, let alone fireworks complaints.”

The city is encouraging families to enjoy the public display of fireworks at the Lake Meridian Splash at 10:15 p.m. on the Fourth of July, which is a Wednesday. The festivities begin at noon and go until the fireworks show is over.

Reporting violations

To report fireworks being discharged near your property, in a public park or on school property, or if you observe fireworks sales within the city limits, call 253-852-2121. To report fireworks emergencies, call 911. Police will prioritize fireworks-related complaints among other calls for service.

More in News

COURTESY PHOTO, Puget Sound RFA
Local firefighters douse detached garage and shop fire

A Saturday morning fire heavily damaged a detached garage and shop in… Continue reading

Auburn man gets 13-plus years in prison for racially-motivated attack

Victim still recovering from brutal beating by a baseball bat-wielding man that left him clinging to life

Kids plug into the possibilities of renewable energy

PSE gives Daniel fifth-graders a glance at power, career paths on National STEM Day

Highline College hosts Black and Brown Male Summit on Saturday

450-plus Young men of color to attend conference

King County approves gun warning sign requirement

Warning signs must be posted in all King County gun stores and firing ranges.

State Senate leaders say an outside investigation into a rape allegation made against state Sen. Joe Fain will continue even though he lost his reelection bid. REPORTER FILE PHOTO
Senate committee to move forward with investigation into rape allegation against Fain

But some question whether to proceed with probe in wake of Auburn senator losing his reelection bid

Most Read