No one was hurt when a fire started Monday evening in a dryer located in the garage at a home in the 25100 block of 112th Avenue Southeast. Residents first noticed smoke coming from the dryer and called 911.
Puget Sound Fire units were dispatched at 7:01 p.m. and arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the clothes dryer. Attack lines were pulled from the engine and as water was being sprayed on the dryer from just outside the garage door heat caused the garage door to drop, according to a Puget Sound Fire news release.
Firefighters quickly made entrance through the front door and crews inside and outside the garage manually lifted the door and extinguished the fire. Damage to the home was to the garage door, front door and minor smoke throughout the home.
A fire investigator ruled out the dryer motor as the cause. Puget Sound Fire also offered a reminder to residents to be sure to always keep the dryer lint trap clean and check the vent pipe occasionally going outside so there is a free flow of air.