Firefighters put out a fire in a converted garage that damaged an East Hill home on Thursday. COURTESY PHOTO, Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority

Fire damages East Hill home

  • Friday, May 19, 2017 9:46am
  • News

A fire in a converted garage damaged an East Hill home on Thursday, the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority reported.

At 5:59 p.m., in the 15000 block of 118th Avenue Southeast, a fire started in the living room while the family was gone. The next door neighbor saw smoke and flames from the garage and called 911. From a safe distance, she sprayed water from a garden hose on the fire while waiting for the fire department to arrive.

Puget Sound Fire Engine 72 was the first to put water on the fire. Additional units helped put the fire out while a search was made on the inside of the home to make sure nobody was in the house. The fire was quickly stopped in the room where it started, but the rest of the house had smoke damage.

Officials said the cause of the fire was a coiled up extension cord with a small refrigerator accidentally placed on top of the coil. Extension cords that are pinched are a known cause of fires, and the Puget Sound Fire Department recommends that extension cords are not used as permanent wiring.

The Red Cross was called to help the family. South King County Medic One and Zone 3 Rehab also responded to the incident.

More in News

Thousands to join Sikh celebration in Kent on Saturday

Day features prayer, music, demonstrations and a large parade

Puget Sound Fire call report

Number, type of incidents

Paradise Parking Plots Community Garden ready to blossom

Public embraces grant-funded community project at grand opening

Local candidates file for state, federal offices

Stober decides against running for House seat

Shumway to challenge Sullivan for District 47 House seat

Kent resident wants to reign in spending in Olympia

Kent man is making a move after $200,000 lottery win

Thanks to a recent $200,000 “Big Money” Scratch win, a Kent man… Continue reading

Kent to receive funding for homeless programs from King County

Grant of $193,673 to Community Engagement Center

Most Read