A Kent homeowner and his family are safe Thursday after an early morning fire damaged the attic space of their home in the 24900 block of 35th Place South.
The owner was alerted to the problem at 3:30 a.m., after he heard cracking and popping noises coming from the ceiling above his head, according to a Puget Sound Fire news release. When he couldn’t locate a problem inside, he went outside and saw black smoke coming from the attic vents on the sides of the house.
He quickly evacuated his family and called 911. Everyone got out safely.
When firefighters from Puget Sound Fire and South King Fire and Rescue arrived, the flames were beginning to come through the roof. A quick attack of the fire from below extinguished it and prevented it from spreading.
The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction or short in the home’s wiring.
Red Cross assisted the family.