Fire damages Kent home

Family escapes safely after owner heard popping noises.

  • Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:06am
  • News

A Kent homeowner and his family are safe Thursday after an early morning fire damaged the attic space of their home in the 24900 block of 35th Place South.

The owner was alerted to the problem at 3:30 a.m., after he heard cracking and popping noises coming from the ceiling above his head, according to a Puget Sound Fire news release. When he couldn’t locate a problem inside, he went outside and saw black smoke coming from the attic vents on the sides of the house.

He quickly evacuated his family and called 911. Everyone got out safely.

When firefighters from Puget Sound Fire and South King Fire and Rescue arrived, the flames were beginning to come through the roof. A quick attack of the fire from below extinguished it and prevented it from spreading.

The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction or short in the home’s wiring.

Red Cross assisted the family.

More in News

Services set for longtime Kentridge High athletic director Anderson

Memorial July 22 at KR gym; mass July 23 in Renton

Puget Sound Fire call report

Number, type of incidents

The Carlton Complex wildfire burned in north-central Washington state in 2014. Photo by Jason Kriess/Wikimedia Commons
King County burn ban under way

Other counties across the state have already enacted similar restrictions.

Between Seattle’s $15 minimum wage and the new no-poach cause agreement, Washington has been leading the nation in advancing fast food workers’ rights. Photo by Fibonacci Blue/Flickr
Washington AG’s deal grants mobility to fast food workers nationwide

Seven fast food chains have agreed to end no-poaching policies that economists say cause wage stagnation.

Dianne Laurine, a Commissioner for the Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities says that she needs plastic straws to drink liquids, and that she easily bites through ones made out of paper. Photo by Melissa Hellmann
Straw ban leaves disabled community feeling high and dry

Although disabled people are exempted from Seattle’s new law, the impacted community says that businesses haven’t gotten the message.

Fire damages Kent West Hill home

Second fire in two days in neighborhood

Plett crowned Miss Cornucopia

Kentwood honors student earns $3,000 scholarship from Kent Lions

Montessori Plus School hosting open house

The open house will be from 5 to 7 p.m. July 17.

Most Read