Kent Police released the names on Tuesday of the officers involved in the June 24 shooting death of Giovonn Joseph-McDade as well as videos, documents and taped statements from the investigation.
The two officers are William Davis, who has been with the Kent Police for more than five years and Matthew Rausch, who has been with the Kent Police for more than two years, according to a Kent Police media release. The officers have returned to regular duty.
“After reviewing the information available, it appears the response of officers Davis and Rausch were appropriate in light of this quickly evolving and dangerous situation, and I fully support their actions,” Kent Police Chief Ken Thomas said in the release.
Joseph-McDade, 20, of Auburn, died from multiple gunshot wounds after he reportedly tried to use his vehicle to run over an officer after a short pursuit on the East Hill. McDade is a former football player and student at Kent-Meridian High School.
The names and videos were released in response to requests last week from the family of Joseph-McDade during a press conference outside the Kent Police Station. Thomas met with the family for two hours after the press conference.
Thomas said in the release he agrees that transparency regarding these types of incidents is critical in maintaining public trust, and it is important that the facts are known. Kent Police turned over the case to the Valley Investigation Team, which is an organization of outside (non-Kent) agencies tasked with investigating officer-involved shootings. The Valley Investigation Team, led by the Des Moines Police, was on scene shortly after the incident.
Investigators told Thomas that their report is substantially complete, and that the investigation will be forwarded to the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for review shortly. As a result, and after conferring with the Prosecutor’s office, Thomas has determined that, in accordance with the request noted above, the following information is being released to the family’s representatives and the media:
• Video from the Arco gas station located at 10402 SE 256th St, Kent (AMPM)
• Video from the Applebee’s restaurant located at 25442 104th Ave SE, Kent (Applebees video)
• Video from a neighborhood camera previously released by Des Moines PD (Pham video from house.mp4)
• Additional videos from neighborhood cameras (S 244th & 99th.avi, Nguyen videos, Worley video, Advice Associate enhancement)
• Audio recordings of Radio Traffic regarding the incident (Kent OIS full radio.wav & KP170044525 RADIO.wav)
• Video Interview of passenger who was riding in Giovonn McDade’s vehicle at the time of the incident (Interview Room_20170624-0313_01d2ec97d…)
• Video reenactment interview of passenger who was riding in Giovonn McDade’s vehicle at the time of the incident (Cheeks reenactment.MP4)
• Video reenactment interview of recruit officer who was a passenger in Officer Davis’ car at the time of the incident (Decker pursuit reenactment.MP4 & Decker scene reenactment.MP4)
• Taped interview of recruit officer who was a passenger in Officer Davis’ car at the time of the incident (17-1559 Decker.MP3)
• Taped statement of resident witness (Pham Statement.WMA)
• Statement of the officers involved and present at the time of the shooting (Officer Davis Statement.pdf & Officer Rausch Statement.pdf)
• Kent Police Policies regarding pursuits and forcible stopping (Pursuit Policy.pdf & Forcible Stopping Policy.pdf)
• PIT Lesson Plan (PIT Lesson Plan.doc)
• List of selected Kent Police Department Trainings (Crisis Bias Training.docx)