For the Reporter
The area’s first house fire of the year took place shortly before 5 a.m. Monday in the 11800 block of Southeast 261 Place, Kent, the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority reported.
Three adults and two dogs escaped from the two-story house and called 911 after they were awakened by their smoke alarms.
When firefighters from the Puget Sound and Valley RFAs arrived, they found smoke coming from the home, but no fire. Once they walked to the back of the house they found the first-floor family room engulfed in flames.
Although the fire was put out quickly, there is extensive smoke and heat damage throughout the house with an estimate loss of $300,000, Puget Sound Fire officials said.
The cause of the fire was a sofa that was too close to a natural gas fireplace insert, Puget Sound Fire officials said.
Red Cross is helping the family and The Flood Guys are providing a free service by boarding up and securing the damaged home.