Contrary to statements put forth by Rich Elfers in his opinion piece, the Republican Senate leadership went out of its way to respect and accommodate the investigation of accusations and testimony of Dr. Ford in the Kavanaugh appointment hearings for the Supreme Court. It is in fact the Democrats who were obstructionist and employed underhanded and unacceptable tactics.
1. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D) had possession and kept the letter from Dr. Ford secret for two months, while interviewing and repeatedly asking Judge Kavanaugh questions.
2. Sen. Feinstein’s office leaked the letter, despite Dr. Ford’s request to remain secret.
3. Judiciary chairman Chuck Grassley (R) repeatedly went out of his way to accommodate Dr. Ford’s situation and requests, carefully respecting Dr. Ford.
4. Despite seven lengthy FBI background investigations, there was no corroborating evidence or credible witnesses for all three of the accusers, including Dr. Ford, against Judge Kavanaugh.
5. When the Democrats realized that none of the last-minute accusations against Kavanaugh were going to work, they went to character assignation against Kavanaugh, who has many longtime colleagues testifying to his excellent demeanor, judgment and independence suitable for a Supreme Court justice.
6. Chuck Schumer (D), Senate minority leader, went on record to prevent Judge Kavanaugh being confirmed; “I’m going to fight the Kavanaugh nomination with everything I’ve got.”
As an independent voter, I agree with Rich Elfers’ last sentence that on Nov. 6, “we the people” will share our opinion and this will result in many Democrats being defeated across America.
– Mark Powell