It’s that time of year during which we are asked to vote for some of our Kent City Council members. As you prepare to vote, I suggest you thoughtfully consider if change of leadership is necessary.
Why bring this topic up? Consider:
• Our taxes continue to rise in various forms. Another attempt to raise resident taxes is planned for next year. Is this leadership as usual? Is it avoiding the real issue?
• The Kent downtown; the East Hill and valley business base is continuing to decrease. Lease signs continue to be more abundant in these areas. This signals a declining tax base. Could this reinforce the need for even higher tax rates? This during the most robust economy in memory.
• Is there a plan to revive our local economy? If so have you seen a positive result?
• For years, we have lacked the desired number of police staff because of lack of financial resources and funding priorities.
• Is it more important to spend millions of dollars this year on playground improvements, or should some of these funds be directed to hiring additional police officers?
• Police staff and city workers are dedicated to continually control the homeless populations movement. Thus, continuing to direct funds to a problem with no solution in site.
• Is it time to bring in candidates with new ideas on solving this cities financial health? You decide. Please vote thoughtfully.
– Jim Renton, Kent
Talk to us
Please share your story tips by emailing email@example.com.
To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.