NW Carpenters Union members strike in downtown Bellevue on Sept. 16 (photo by Cameron Sheppard)

NW Carpenters Union members strike in downtown Bellevue on Sept. 16 (photo by Cameron Sheppard)

Carpenters back to work after tentative agreement reached with AGC

Union VP said agreement includes 15% wage increase as well as expanded job site parking.

After nearly three weeks of strikes that paused progress on prominent construction projects across the Puget Sound, the Northwest Carpenters Union announced today that they have reached a tentative agreement with the Associated General Contractors of Washington, allowing work to resume.

“As you can hear around us, you’ll hear the clanking and banging and that’s what we like to hear,” said NW Carpenters Union spokesperson Evelyn Shapiro in Downtown Seattle on Wednesday. “We like to hear the noise on the streets because that means we are building.”

Shapiro said hundreds of carpenters union members participated in the strike despite a divided membership over the initially struck-down agreements offered by the AGC.

Union Vice President and bargaining committee member, Ryan Case, said the tentative agreement is a three-year contract that he believes keeps the carpenters union in-line with the other trade unions with a 15.4 percent wage increase and retroactive wages back to the beginning of June.

He said there will also be expanded parking in Seattle and Bellevue, with parking space and fees being a contested issue among union members.

“I want my son to know that standing up for what is right and standing up for yourself and your union brothers and sisters can be tough, but it is worth it.” Case said.

Case said he is confident union members will collectively vote to approve this new agreement.

Shapiro said despite the compromising nature of contract negotiations, the union did not really have to “give anything up” during the negotiations.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

t
Puloka charged with three murders, two assaults in Des Moines shooting

Sept. 26 outside sports bar after fights broke out

t
Kent Police Blotter: Oct. 15-24

Robberies, shootings, attempted carjacking among incidents

t
SeaTac man could face three murder charges in Des Moines shooting

Joshua Puloka reportedly fired shots that killed two men, one woman Sept. 26 outside bar

A rendering of transit-oriented development. COURTESY IMAGE, Sound Transit
Sound Transit seeks public feedback on development near light rail in Kent

Online survey about projects to be built near Kent/Des Moines Station

Kentlake High School. COURTESY PHOTO, Kent School District
Social media post about Kentlake High shooting not viable threat

Sheriff’s Office, school officials make determination about Oct. 25 warning

t
Police arrest man wanted in Des Moines triple fatal shooting | Update

Joshua Puloka, aka Joshua Everybodytalksabout, turned himself in to police

Google Images
Racial disparities in bike helmet law forces decision by King County health board

On Oct. 21, the King County Board of Health discussed striking down… Continue reading

Sixty students in the Kent School District have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since Oct. 1, including six at Kent-Meridian High School. COURTESY PHOTO, Kent School District
Kent School District reports 60 COVID-19 student cases so far in October

First released report with student, staff cases at each school

Most Read