The fire broke out at about 4:44 p.m., according to a Puget Sound Fire news release. The occupants of the home reported the fire. They said they had been burning a fire in the wood stove insert of a Zero Clearance fireplace.
At some point the fire extended into the open space of the wooden chase surrounding the flue and the resident saw flames coming from the side of the house.
The first fire department unit arrived and confirmed a fire in the wooden chase extending to the roof. Seven units from Puget Sound Fire responded supported by units from Renton RFA, Medic 1, and Zone 3 Rehab. The fire was declared out 20 minutes after arrival. There were no injuries.
As a safety reminder, Puget Sound Fire officials note that chimney/flue should be inspected and cleaned annually with regular use. Do not load your fireplace or stove with wrapping paper following the holiday celebration. Burning wrapping paper creates a very hot fire that may damage your flue or ignite the build up of soot that accumulates in your chimney.