A good neighbor saved a family from a damaging fire Thursday evening, the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority reported.
The neighbor noticed that not only was smoke coming out of the metal chimney pipe, but that the actual wood “chase” surrounding the pipe was on fire. The neighbor rushed to the home and knocked on the door, alerting the family who then called 911.
Puget Sound Fire Engine 373 arrived and seeing that reaching the top of the chimney would be difficult requested a ladder truck and addition fire engine
Keeping the fire under control until the ladder truck arrived, the chase was then opened up and all burning embers were extinguished.
There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters.
American Red Cross arrived and helped the family as there was damage to the roof and would need to relocate.
The home was secured from the weather by 1-800-BOARDUP, which provided the service for free.