The fire was reported at 12:43 p.m. When firefighters arrived, there were large amounts of fire and smoke from the back of the two-story house, according to a Puget Sound Fire news release. Fire had entered both floors through glass sliders and had also gotten into the attic space through the bird blocking.
Only one of the six residents were home at the time of the fire. There were no reported injuries.
Discarded smoking material left behind the house caused the fire, which is considered accidental, according to an update Tuesday from Puget Sound Fire.
Red Cross assisted the residents and the Flood Guys provided a free board-up service to protect the occupant’s property.
It was the second house fire in four days in Kent. Two residents were displaced last Friday morning after their home caught fire in the 12400 block of SE 275th Place.
Fundraising for family
Relatives of the family that lived in the house on Southeast 236th Place have started a gofundme.com account to help the Lo family find a new place to live.
“My mother’s home was recently burned,” according to the post on the gofundme website. “Not to the ground but there is significant damage and nothing was able to be salvaged. In the home were my three youngest siblings, my cousin, my aunt and my mother. Due to the fire, they now have to find a new home. This donation will be put towards the down payment on a new place and damages.”