Fire breaks out at a Kent house Monday afternoon in the 10500 block of Southeast 236th Place. COURTESY PHOTO, Puget Sound Fire

Fire breaks out at a Kent house Monday afternoon in the 10500 block of Southeast 236th Place. COURTESY PHOTO, Puget Sound Fire

Fire burns Kent East Hill home | Update

Cause was discarded smoking material behind house; fundraiser account started for family

  • Friday, June 14, 2019 11:13am
  • News

Fire damaged a Kent home Monday in the 10500 block of Southeast 236th Place.

The fire was reported at 12:43 p.m. When firefighters arrived, there were large amounts of fire and smoke from the back of the two-story house, according to a Puget Sound Fire news release. Fire had entered both floors through glass sliders and had also gotten into the attic space through the bird blocking.

Only one of the six residents were home at the time of the fire. There were no reported injuries.

Discarded smoking material left behind the house caused the fire, which is considered accidental, according to an update Tuesday from Puget Sound Fire.

Red Cross assisted the residents and the Flood Guys provided a free board-up service to protect the occupant’s property.

It was the second house fire in four days in Kent. Two residents were displaced last Friday morning after their home caught fire in the 12400 block of SE 275th Place.

Fundraising for family

Relatives of the family that lived in the house on Southeast 236th Place have started a gofundme.com account to help the Lo family find a new place to live.

“My mother’s home was recently burned,” according to the post on the gofundme website. “Not to the ground but there is significant damage and nothing was able to be salvaged. In the home were my three youngest siblings, my cousin, my aunt and my mother. Due to the fire, they now have to find a new home. This donation will be put towards the down payment on a new place and damages.”

More in News

Northwest Kidney Centers patient creates dozens of scarves and hats for the homeless

Northwest Kidney Centers dialysis patient Janice Baker, 78, last summer started making… Continue reading

Legion family of Kent serves up holiday dinner to the community

Legion family of Kent serves up holiday dinner to the community

Washington Low Income Housing Alliance is among supporters of statewide “just cause” legislation to protect tenants in Washington. However, some landlords say removing the ability to quickly remove tenants limits their ability to get rid of problem renters. (Courtesy image)
Tenant advocates prepare for another push in Olympia

Following wins in Burien and Federal Way, just cause evictions are on the 2020 Legislative agenda.

Puget Sound Fire photo
Chimney fire displaces family of four in Kent

A good neighbor saved a family from a damaging fire Thursday evening,… Continue reading

Street racers leaving Renton for Kent, Tukwila

Police say crackdown efforts were successful, but racers just moved across the city border

Rep. Kim Schrier. REPORTER PHOTO
Rep. Schrier’s bill to expand Medicare to get House vote next week

Congresswoman Kim Schrier, D-WA (Eighth District) on Friday announced that her bill… Continue reading

Most Read