A bathroom fan with a mechanical problem ignited a fire in a Kent condominium early Monday morning, the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority reported.
The homeowner was taking a shower when the smoke detector went off, alerting her and the other member who was sleeping. Seeing the bathroom fan with flames inside the vent, both residents evacuated safely outside and called 911, Puget Sound Fire said.
Puget Sound Fire Engine 74 was the first on scene and seeing a light hazy smoke coming from the front door, made a quick entry. The crews made sure the home was evacuated while also controlling the bathroom fire.
Further investigation showed fire had just started to burn into the attic, Puget Sound Fire said, so the ceiling was opened while a fire hose extinguished the fire.
American Red Cross was helping the family relocate for the next few days.
Puget Sound Fire reminds residents the importance of having working fire alarms in the home.