The fire was reported at 9:40 a.m. after the homeowners heard their smoke alarm activate, according to a Puget Sound Fire news release. When they investigated, they found fire and smoke in the garage. They quickly evacuated and called 911.
When firefighters from Puget Sound Fire, Valley RFA and Mountain View Fire and Rescue arrived, the entire garage was already fully engulfed in flames and was spreading into the attic space. It took firefighters approximately 40 minutes to completely extinguish the fire.
Two dogs were able to get out with the residents. Firefighters rescued a cat and it was revived with oxygen by paramedics.
Red Cross is assisting the residents and Belfor Restoration is providing a free board up service for the home.