Kent School District families in need will be able to pick up a free Farmers to Families food box each Wednesday from May 27 through June 17.
The district is working with Pacific Coast Fruit Co., to help distribute boxes as part of the $24.8 million contract the company received from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to distribute food to people in need in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and California. The food boxes as part of the federal Coronavirus Farm Assistance Program. USDA will purchase and distribute up to $3 billion of agricultural products to those in need across the nation.
Kent School District families in need can pick up one box of fresh food per household regardless of income, according to a district website post. The boxes are prepackaged by the Oregon-based Pacific Coast Fruit, which has a warehouse in Kent and one in Portland. The district has no authority over what is included in each box.
The boxes weigh approximately 25 pounds. The district recommends bringing a wagon, carriage, or several bags to help carry the box if you are walking to a site.
Three different boxes are available to choose from. Please help feed as many school district families as possible by choosing one box.
* Produce box: Consists of apples, oranges, strawberries, potatoes, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, romaine lettuce and carrots.
* Dairy box: Consists of eggs, 2% milk, non-fat milk, half & half, butter, yogurt, cheddar and jack cheese.
* Combo box: Consists of packaged deli ham and chicken, butter, 2% milk, cheddar and jack cheese, romaine lettuce, potatoes and onions
School pick-up sites for food boxes
(The free fresh food boxes will be available at each site from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. or as long as supplies last)
Cedar Heights Middle School: 19640 SE 272nd Street, Covington
Covington Elementary: 25811 156th Avenue SE Covington
Emerald Park Elementary: 11800 SE 216th Street, Kent
Horizon Elementary: 27641 144th Avenue SE, Kent
Kent Elementary: 24700 64th Avenue S, Kent
Kent-Meridian High School: 10020 SE 256th Street, Kent
Kentridge High School: 12430 SE 208th Street, Kent
KSD Administration Center: 12033 SE 256th St, Kent
Neely-O’Brien Elementary: 6300 S 236th Street, Kent
The Outreach Program (TOP): 26024 111th Avenue SE, Kent
Grandview Apartments: 3900 Veterans Drive, Kent
Soos Creek Mobile Estates: 15410 SE 272nd Street, Covington
Sterling Ridge Apartments: 11328 SE Kent-Kangley Rd, Kent
Valley Mobile Manor: 856 Central Ave S # 74, Kent
King County Housing Authority sites for residents only
Birch Creek: 12910 SE 273rd Street, Kent
Cascade: 20524 106th Ave SE, Kent
Valli Kee: 23401 104th Ave SE, Kent
Frequently asked questions
* When will the distribution of boxes begin?
Distribution of the boxes will begin Wednesday, May 27.
* Can I pick up more than box?
Pacific Coast Fruit Co., is providing boxes for Kent School District families (1 per household).
No large orders are being accepted to pick up for multiple households.
No pre-orders of boxes are being accepted for these free fresh food boxes.
* What if I have questions about the nutritional contents of the box I received?
Please contact Maggie Brooks at email@example.com with questions about the contents and nutritional components of the boxes.
* Do I have to show ID or proof my child attends Kent School District?
No. Other than one per household, there are no stipulations for families to receive a box. All who show up can receive an available box.
* What if I do not get a box will the Kent School District provide an alternate distribution time?
The distribution time at all Kent School District building sites and outreach sites is 11 a.m. to 12:30 or as long as supplies last. No boxes will be held.
Our partner Kent Community Foundation is managing a list of organizations providing food at sites in the greater Kent area.
* Can I pick up a box at Birch Creek, Cascade, or Valli Kee even though I am not a resident?
No, distribution at the King County Housing Authority sites is for residents only.
* Will this program continue through the summer?
The current contract with Pacific Coast Fruit ends in June.