The two-week lockdown began March 27. This requires that no one will enter or exit the facility for the two-week period — with a few exceptions, such as emergency first responders, our facilities team responding to emergencies, and/or an individual who chooses to leave and not return, according to KentHOPE officials.
“We have a set number of Mission staff who have volunteered to live on-site for the next 14 days to care for our guests,” according to KentHOPE. “Guests continue to find housing, so we are currently serving just 16 guests.”
Staff is following a strict sanitizing schedule, taking temperatures of guests and staff throughout the day, monitoring supplies and researching housing options. If someone does become ill, there is a plan for health care, testing and quarantine placement. Our guests and staff continue to support and encourage each other.
A confirmed COVID-19 case at Riverton Place in Seattle on March 25 led the Mission to immediately take more drastic measures in the difficult battle against the spread of the virus.
Mission put five locations in lockdown to best protect the nearly 300 men, women, and children relying on the Mission for meals, shelter, and other basic needs. Many are a part of our year-long residential addiction recovery program. This move will greatly reduce the chance of outside exposure of the virus to this already vulnerable population.
“We love our homeless brothers and sisters. We feel a great sense of responsibility to protect each one who lives with us and calls the Mission home,” said Scott Chin, Mission president.
Union Gospel Mission still needs donations and is looking for volunteers to help at KentHOPE.
During our 14-day lock down, we are no longer accepting in-kind donations at any Mission location, including KentHOPE. However, the Mission has a great need for the following supplies:
* N95 masks
* Surgical masks
* Disinfectant wipes
* Hand sanitizer
* Nonperishable food items
If you’d like to make a donation of these much needed supplies, please email Scott at email@example.com.
* Contact local businesses — Work with a volunteer team to contact businesses about support for KentHOPE through Gala sponsorship, drives, in-kind donations, and meals. Please email Jason at Jason.Bliss@gmail.com
* Pick up Chick-fil-A meals – Monday mornings or Wednesday evenings from the Southcenter location. Please email Gloria at info@KentHOPE.org for details.
* Prepare 20 sack lunches — Deliver to the Day Center for staff to distribute individually to guests. Sign up online for the date you prefer or get in touch with Pam at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Cook breakfast or dinner at home for 20 (reduced from 30) — Deliver the meals to the Day Center for staff to serve to guests. Sign up online for the date and meal you prefer or get in touch with Pam at email@example.com
* Volunteer coordinator – Help support, train and encourage volunteers, give Day Center tours, respond to donors of goods and services (when quarantine restrictions have been lifted). Be part of a volunteer team that is passionate about assisting homeless women at the KentHOPE Day Center. Email Gloria at info@KentHOPE.org for more information.