Man charged in killing of wife in Kent reportedly attacked her 9 months earlier

Paul Dervin arrested in Minnesota; extradition hearing Dec. 21

Paul R. Dervin, 38, allegedly killed his estranged wife in her Kent home just nine months after he reportedly assaulted her at a Burien bowling center.

Dervin, whose previous home addresses in police and court documents include Seattle and Federal Way, showed up the night of Nov. 30 at the home of Randi A. Jones, 40, and killed her, according to charging papers filed Dec. 11 in King County Superior Court against Dervin. He faces charges for second-degree murder domestic violence, second-degree assault domestic violence, unlawful imprisonment domestic violence and violation of a court order for the protection of Jones.

“The facts of this case make a clear and convincing showing that the defendant has a propensity for violence that will create a substantial likelihood of danger to the community,” wrote Senior Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Lakeysha Washington in requesting Dervin be held without bail.

Dervin and Jones were married in 2016, according to marriage license records. There were no divorce records for the couple.

Kent Police responded at 1:19 a.m. Dec. 1 to a suspicious circumstances call at the home of Jones, 25123 23rd Pl. S., on the West Hill. Officers found Jones lying on her back unresponsive in the living room. Officers observed bruising and blood on her face and marks on her neck. Officers and medics attempted life-saving measures but she died at the scene.

Jones died from a blunt-force injury to her torso, according to the King County Medical Examiner’s Office.

An investigation by detectives led to a nationwide homicide warrant for Dervin, who had fled the state. The Minnesota State Patrol arrested Dervin on Dec. 9 in a vehicle driven by a woman.

Dervin remained Dec. 17 in the Nobles County Jail in Worthington, Minnesota. He is scheduled for an extradition hearing on Dec. 21 in Nobles County as King County prosecutors seek to have him returned to Washington state to face charges. He is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges Dec. 23 but that date could change, according to the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

An adult son of Jones called 911 after finding his mother lying unconscious in her home. He told police Dervin, his stepfather, had called a friend he was with on FaceTime and told him he had found another man in the house with Jones. He could see Dervin’s face was swollen which Dervin said he hurt when he chased the man and fell on his face.

That call caused the son to go check on his mother. He and a friend found her lying unconscious in the living room.

After detectives arrived, the son told them the Jaguar parked outside the home belonged to Dervin, who apparently fled the home in a green Honda he owned and had loaned to Jones.

Detectives interviewed the man who had been at the house with Jones that night. He said he had spent the weekend helping her move out of the home. He said they fell asleep on the living room floor while watching television and that he was startled awake to pounding on the window.

He said Jones told him she thought it was Dervin and told him to go out the back door. The man said he ran out the door and eventually made it to a bus stop on Pacific Highway South and caught a bus home. Detectives noted that video surveillance showed the man leaving the neighborhood and boarding a bus at about 11:02 p.m.

Dervin reportedly told another friend that he chased the man out of the home and pushed Jones out of the way so he could continue to chase the man. He said he chased the man down the street and fell and hit his head. He said he returned to the house and saw Jones unconscious but breathing. He then contacted a friend to help him look for the man he said was at home with Jones, but they didn’t find the man.

Dervin later went to the home of another friend before leaving when he found out later that night that Jones had died. Police were unable to locate him until he was arrested in Minnesota.

Bowling alley attack

Dervin had second-degree assault and kidnapping charges filed against him in March after he reportedly attacked Jones Feb. 28 at the Hiline Lanes bowling center in Burien.

Witnesses said Dervin showed up, slapped a drink off the table and started to hit Jones. He slapped her and then dragged her out of the bowling alley, according to charging papers.

The adult son of Jones reported the attack to Kent Police the next day from his mother’s home. Officers noted that Jones had two black eyes and her face was swollen. She reportedly was driven home by Dervin from the bowling alley.

The son told police that Dervin had shot up his mother’s silver Mercedes vehicle. Officers saw the car at the home and reported 14 bullet holes in the windshield.

Video footage from the bowling center confirmed that Dervin had attacked Jones, according to charging documents. Dervin was arrested Aug. 10 after he had failed to show up for his scheduled May 5 arraignment on assault and kidnapping charges. He was arraigned on the charges Aug. 18.

Dervin was booked into the King County jail on Aug. 10 and released three days later after he posted $200,000 bail, according to jail records.

Mardi Gras shooting

In 2001, Dervin was charged with second-degree assault after he opened fire in a crowded area and injured two people on the night of Seattle’s Mardi Gras celebration in Pioneer Square.

Video evidence showed Dervin, then 18 years old, fired five shots. He entered an Alford plea to third-degree assault with a firearm enhancement.

Domestic violence help

Kent Police want to remind everyone that if you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, please call 911.

Local domestic violence resources, including information about how to obtain a protection order in King County can be found at dawnrising.org and on the King County Prosecuting Attorney website.

Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

Puloka charged with three murders, two assaults in Des Moines shooting

Sept. 26 outside sports bar after fights broke out

Kent Police Blotter: Oct. 15-24

Robberies, shootings, attempted carjacking among incidents

SeaTac man could face three murder charges in Des Moines shooting

Joshua Puloka reportedly fired shots that killed two men, one woman Sept. 26 outside bar

A rendering of transit-oriented development. COURTESY IMAGE, Sound Transit
Sound Transit seeks public feedback on development near light rail in Kent

Online survey about projects to be built near Kent/Des Moines Station

Kentlake High School. COURTESY PHOTO, Kent School District
Social media post about Kentlake High shooting not viable threat

Sheriff’s Office, school officials make determination about Oct. 25 warning

Police arrest man wanted in Des Moines triple fatal shooting | Update

Joshua Puloka, aka Joshua Everybodytalksabout, turned himself in to police

Google Images
Racial disparities in bike helmet law forces decision by King County health board

On Oct. 21, the King County Board of Health discussed striking down… Continue reading

Sixty students in the Kent School District have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since Oct. 1, including six at Kent-Meridian High School. COURTESY PHOTO, Kent School District
Kent School District reports 60 COVID-19 student cases so far in October

First released report with student, staff cases at each school

Most Read