Puget Sound Energy is repairing a natural gas line that was accidentally cut in downtown Kent on Saturday, the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority reported.
Workers were putting in fence posts around 10 a.m. when they hit a gas line with their post-hole digger in the 200 block of West Saar Street, near Kent Lutheran Church.
People in the area were immediately evacuated. There were no reports of anyone hurt.
PSE arrived and was able to close off the leaking line. Repairs were being made Saturday afternoon.
Puget Sound RFA Fire Engine 71 arrived, and when firefighters could hear the gas leak, they called for the Hazardous Response Team from Station 76. The RFA’s District 7 crew set up a safety perimeter, which included closing 2nd Avenue South from Saar to Titus.
The hazardous materials crew checked the building closest to the leak, and all readings were within normal limits, Puget Sound Fire said.
Most residents do not realize the gas line is the closest utility to the surface of the ground, and so Puget Sound Fire and PSE would like to remind you to call 811 before you dig.