A small fire in the clothing department forced the Fred Meyer store in Covington to be evacuated on Saturday evening.
Firefighters were dispatched at 6 p.m. June 8 to the store at 16735 SE 272nd St., and found a small pile of clothing smoldering on the floor of the men’s department, according to a Puget Sound Fire news release. The fire had been extinguished by store employees. Although the fire did not spread far, smoke filled much of the store, forcing employees and customers to remain outside.
One person was treated for minor smoke inhalation. That person did not require hospitalization.
The fire is considered suspicious. The Puget Sound fire investigator will work with store managers to review surveillance video and conduct interviews.