State AG Ferguson sues to block Trump administration from diverting billions for border wall

Administration wants to take $89 million in construction funds for Bangor sub base

  • Thursday, September 19, 2019 12:19pm
  • News
Bob Ferguson/Courtesy Photo

Bob Ferguson/Courtesy Photo

State Attorney General Bob Ferguson filed a lawsuit Thursday to block the Trump administration’s plan to “reprogram” funding for more than $3.6 billion in congressionally approved military construction projects to help build a wall along the U.S. southern border with Mexico.

The plan diverts nearly $89 million from the Kitsap Peninsula’s Bangor submarine base.

Ferguson filed the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. Ferguson also intends to ask the court for injunctive relief in the near future to immediately block the Administration’s attempt to divert the congressionally appropriated funds.

“President Trump’s misuse of his presidential emergency powers to accomplish an ideological political goal is an egregious abuse of power that should concern all Americans, regardless of how you feel about Donald Trump or immigration,” Ferguson said in a state Attorney General’s Office news release. “Our nation’s founders enshrined our system of checks and balances in our Constitution. President Trump’s actions threaten to undermine that system. We will not allow that to happen.”

“The president’s actions demonstrate a clear disdain of Congressional authority and are a serious breach of constitutionally established powers,” Gov. Jay Inslee said in the news release. “The president promised that Mexico would pay for his vanity border project, but instead it is U.S. military members, their families and their communities who are paying for it. I support Attorney General Ferguson’s actions and I stand with him on this, as I have with every other lawsuit his office has filed, and won against this president.”

In February, Trump declared a “national emergency” to reallocate funds for his long-promised border wall despite the fact that Congress has repeatedly refused to approve the funding he requested.

Congress even voted to overturn President Trump’s “emergency” declaration with bipartisan support, but President Trump vetoed their legislative action.

The Trump Administration declared their intent to divert more than $6 billion for the wall from funds within the federal budget, including the congressionally approved military construction budget. Until recently, however, the Trump administration did not identify the particular projects that would be impacted.

Several lawsuits were filed earlier this year, including a lawsuit by 20 states, after the president’s declaration, but courts have yet to rule on the legality of “reprogramming” military construction funds because the administration had yet to detail which projects would lose funding. Ferguson decided to file his lawsuit after the Department of Defense confirmed a Washington project would lose funding.

Bangor pier project

Washington’s Bangor submarine base is home to the U.S. Pacific Fleet of Trident ballistic missile submarines. The Trump administration’s plan subverts a congressionally approved $88.96 million project to build a pier and maintenance facility at the base, complete with a boat shop, small-craft fueling station and storage tank, and permanent berthing for two 250-foot blocking vessels.

The vessels, which escort and provide security for submarines between the base and dive points in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, currently have no dedicated pier space, forcing them to operate in a “nomadic state” according to the Department of Defense.

The Department of Defense asserted in writing that the Bangor pier project is important to sailors and their families. According the Department of Defense, for example, when there is no space at the existing pier, sailors are subject to “extensive berth shifts and unnecessary days spent away from homeport.”

Legal Arguments — Constitutional Claims

In his lawsuit, Ferguson asserts that President Trump violated Articles 1 and 2 of the U.S. Constitution with his the president’s declaration and subsequent diversion of congressionally appropriated funding. The Constitution grants Congress the exclusive power to appropriate federal funds. President Trump’s “emergency” declaration and seizure of military construction funds constitutes an unconstitutional abuse of power and a violation of separation of powers.

Legal Arguments — Statutory Claims

Ferguson also asserts that President Trump’s diversion of military construction projects runs afoul of the plain language of the law.

The statute that the administration is relying on to “reprogram” military construction funding — 10 U.S.C. § 2808 — plainly requires that money diverted because of an emergency must be sent to other military construction projects. The statute anticipates the need to go to war and swiftly deploy armed forces, construct installations and get the resources to support military personnel when Congress has no time to appropriate funding. For multiple reasons, the border wall does not meet the legal definition of a military construction project, which makes it unlawful.

Consequently, because the Administration is not authorized by statute to use these funds, the administration is once again violating the Administrative Procedure Act.

Lawsuits against the Trump administration

Ferguson has filed 48 lawsuits against the Trump administration and has not lost a case, according to the news release.

Ferguson has 21 legal victories against the Trump administration. Thirteen of those cases are finished and cannot be appealed. The Trump administration has or may appeal the other eight, which include lawsuits involving Dreamers and 3D-printed guns. No court to rule on the merits of the attorney general’s arguments in a lawsuit against the Trump Administration has ruled against the office.

More in News

State officials remind public Tobacco and Vapor 21 begins Jan. 1

The Washington State Department of Health is reminding the public that Engrossed… Continue reading

Flying Fish: Lake Sammamish kokanee move to Orcas Island

It’s part of a program to preserve the unique freshwater salmon species.

King County Metro has been working to develop a proposal for future transit options to better connect Renton, Kent, Auburn and surrounding areas; and identifying potential sites for a new bus base, which will house and maintain 250 all-electric buses by 2030. COURTESY PHOTO, King County Metro
Better transit service and a new bus base

Residents invited to have a say on Metro’s upcoming investments in South King County

Customers asked to recycle plastic bags, wrap separately from curbside recycling materials

Changes are coming next year to how materials are collected for recycling… Continue reading

KCLS boycotts Macmillan Publishers’ eBook embargo

The King County Library System (KCLS) will no longer purchase newly-released eBooks… Continue reading

Kent man who made multiple online threats sentenced to 5 years in prison

Defendant with severe mental illness threatened media figures, the Jewish community and members of the Trump family

Malena Gaces, left, and other members of Washington CAN protest unfair move-out charges and alleged discriminatory behavior outside Kitts Corner Apartments in Federal Way in 2018. Sound Publishing file photo
King County could increase tenant protections

The council is considering ordinances designed to help renters.

Learn about funding opportunities to create parks, open spaces at King County workshop

Learn about funding opportunities to create parks, open spaces in the community at King County workshop

Most Read