Auburn School District Superintendent Alan Spicciati. Courtesy photo

Auburn School District Superintendent Alan Spicciati. Courtesy photo

Students back in Auburn schools? ‘We are not there yet’

Auburn School District Superintendent Alan Spicciati wrote parents a letter to explain delay.

Several weeks ago, when COVID-19 infection rates in King and Pierce counties were closing in on the moderate range, the Auburn School District informed parents it was “cautiously optimistic” it could begin to bring students back for in-person learning.

That was then.

As Auburn School District Superintendent Alan Spicciati wrote parents in a letter late last week, the numbers are not in the moderate range, and indeed, they have climbed to the point where Auburn’s infection rate is double that of King County.

“We cannot bring students and staff back in-person while the infection rates are climbing,” Spicciati said in the letter. “We are using the Department of Health decision tree and following the public health data to aid in our decision-making … We need to be securely in the moderate range as determined by the state Department of Health with infection rates trending down before we can return to in-person. As much as we want students back in school, we are not there yet.”

Based on the progression of COVID-19 metrics and guidance from the health department, Spicciati said, the earliest date the district could bring grades 3-12 back for in-person learning in a hybrid model is Feb. 2.

“This is a difficult decision, and not what any of us want. We are letting you know so you can plan around this target date. This is the earliest we could return in grades 3-12, unless health department guidance changes,” Spicciati said. “We are hopeful we might bring our youngest learners back earlier than the older students. Our current plan is to evaluate the health data in mid-December to determine if a mid-January return in hybrid is feasible for students in preschool through 2nd grade.”

Meanwhile, Spicciati said, the district continues to gather information from families. The preliminary results of the Family Commitment form the district sent out earlier this month show 40 percent of them want to remain in Distance Learning, and 60 percent prefer the hybrid model.

About one-third of the families responded to the district’s Family Commitment form, and in a recent staff survey, more than 94 percent of staff are ready to come back to school, Spicciati said.

“We still need information from all families so we can plan and staff the hybrid program when we are able to bring students back. We will re-ask families in late November and early December to choose hybrid or continue in Distance Learning,” Spicciati said.

Those who did not complete the form, he said, will have another opportunity to provide the information at the end of next month.

“Knowing we are going to continue in the Distance Learning model for the next several months, we will continue to refine the program to provide a supportive, engaging and challenging experience for our students,” Spicciati said. “For now, students will remain with their current teacher. We will be asking families for feedback on Distance Learning in a short survey soon.”

Spicciati said the district is aware that the WIAA has tentatively scheduled sports seasons to start in January, so the district will communicate directly with high school families as decisions are made about sports.

“We want to be transparent in our decision-making. I will update you at the beginning and middle of each month to keep you informed. In the meantime, the best way to get students back to school is to slow the spread of COVID-19. The community can help by wearing a mask, physical distancing and avoiding gatherings with people outside of your household,” he said.

“We are going to be flexible so if it is advisable, we will be able to gradually return. I appreciate this amazing community we live in,” Spicciati concluded.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

Mona Das
Kent’s Das elected Senate Democratic Caucus vice chair

Second-year lawmaker will help decide legislative priorities

A King County Sheriff’s Office photo of the crawlspace in which Urbano Velazquez was hiding when a K-9 unit was used. Sound Publishing file photo
King County settles $2 million dog bite lawsuit

The county agreed to pay $100,000 after being sued after a 2016 K-9 unit arrest.

Contributed by the Society for Conservation Biology 
A map showing the locations where plants have gone extinct in the U.S. and Canada since European settlers arrived.
Study: 65 plant species have gone extinct in U.S., Canada

More than 65 species of plants have gone extinct in the U.S.… Continue reading

Media day at the Operations Maintenance Facility in Seattle in June 2019 to show off the first Siemens Link light rail vehicle purchased by Sound Transit. COURTESY FILE PHOTO, Sound Transit
Sound Transit light rail trains are now running on clean energy

PSE’s Green Direct program allows agency to power Link trains with carbon-free energy

t
Kent man firing rifle stood near home’s front door when police fatally shot him | Update

Investigation determines three officers fired 24 shots, two more than previously reported

The developer of the Ethos Community Apartments along West Meeker Street will receive about a $3.1 million property tax break from the city of Kent over an eight-year period. FILE PHOTO, Kent Reporter
Ethos apartment developer in Kent to get $3.1 million property tax break

City Council approves exemption as follow up to land sale agreement

Satwinder Kaur. COURTESY PHOTO
Kent City Councilmember Kaur awarded with Advanced Certificate of Municipal Leadership

Program recognizes elected officials for accomplishing training in four core areas

Most Read