A free Meeker Street Nerd Party is set for downtown Kent from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 26.
The Kent Downtown Partnership announced the party Monday, Jan. 10.
“There is nothing wrong with being a nerd! In fact, nerds are smart, creative, and unique individuals,” according to the announcement. “Downtown Kent has number of ‘cool nerd’ businesses that embrace this unique culture and are not afraid to show it!”
The Nerd Party promotes downtown local, small businesses by highlighting nerd culture at this event. Small businesses on West Meeker will host local makers, artists, and authors who specialize in nerd culture, science fiction, fantasy, horror, books, games, toys and more.
• Retro Emporium: Vintage to modern Pop Culture shop specializing in vintage 80s/90s collectibles and retro-themed goods.
• Page Turner Books: Nerd culture store offering sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, movies, video games, comics, and more.
• Big Wu Fitness: Will be hosting SeaLUG, a Seattle based group of Lego brick enthusiasts. The Lego creations are large and elaborate, often taking hundreds of hours to create, and will be on display at this location.
• Sweet Themes Bakery: Featuring sweet nerd-themed treats and hosting Cosplay costume contest.
• Cosplay Costume Contest: Grand prize $100. Dress up as your favorite character, enter contest at Sweet Pied Piper Pub, which will offer trivia and special nerd drink specials.
• Justin Olson – aka JBoom – sketch artist, art animation
• Andy LeRoy – sci-fi, toys and comic art
• Bruno Pags – fantasy, vampire, werewolves’ art
• PTB Comics & Manga will host a Dungeons & Dragons panel with guests from the early days of TSR
Attendees are asked to RSVP at downtownkentwa.com. All attendees must always wear masks and follow the Washington state COVID-19 guidelines.
The event is presented by the Kent Downtown Partnership, a 501c3 nonprofit organization, Page Turner Books & Retro Emporium Kent.