Court hearing starts Monday for Kent boy accused of rapes

A hearing started Monday before Judge Barbara Mack in King County Juvenile Court in Seattle to determine whether a 16-year-old Kent boy charged with rape should be tried as an adult.

Kent Police released this composite sketch of a suspect wanted in connection with two rapes Oct. 26-27 on the East Hill. Prosecutors charged a 15-year-old Kent boy with the crimes in November.

Kent Police released this composite sketch of a suspect wanted in connection with two rapes Oct. 26-27 on the East Hill. Prosecutors charged a 15-year-old Kent boy with the crimes in November.

A hearing started Monday before Judge Barbara Mack in King County Juvenile Court in Seattle to determine whether a 16-year-old Kent boy charged with rape should be tried as an adult.

The hearing is expected to last for two days, according to the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

Prosecutors charged the boy in November with two counts of first-degree rape and two counts of first-degree kidnapping with sexual motivation in connection with attacks on a 17-year-old girl and a 19-year-old woman on separate nights in October on the East Hill along Kent-Kangley Road.

Prosecutors will request that the boy be tried as an adult. The boy attended Kentwood High School in Covington, where Kent Police arrested him Nov. 7.

If convicted in Juvenile Court, the boy would be incarcerated up to his 21st birthday, according to prosecutors. The minimum sentence in adult court is 28 to 36 years in prison with a potential maximum sentence of up to life in prison.

Because the boy was 15 when the alleged rapes occurred, the Juvenile Court first handled the charges. Mack must order adult prosecution for the boy and decline the case, which would send it to King County Superior Court.

Under Washington state law, an offender who commits a serious violent offense is automatically charged in adult court if they are 16 or 17 years old when the alleged crime occurred. The boy turned 16 on March 21.

In each incident, the boy approached the woman and the girl after they had exited a bus, according to charging papers. The boy allegedly told the woman and the girl he had a gun and threatened to shoot them if they did not cooperate and go with him to a secluded spot. He reportedly raped both women while continuing to threaten them with what he said was a gun.

The girl and woman provided similar descriptions of the teen. Kent Police released sketches of the suspect. The drawings generated a number of tips that helped detectives track down the boy.

Detectives said state crime lab investigators matched DNA from the boy with evidence collected from each rape victim.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

COURTESY FILE PHOTO, Kent School District
Kent teachers could be let go if enough don’t leave

District may target new teachers due to budget cuts; incentive offered for early notice of resignation, retirement

A pond is one of the features at Kaibara Park, an half-acre park in downtown Kent near the Kent Library. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Woman found dead at downtown Kent park died of drug overdose

King County Medical Examiner’s Office rules Feb. 11 death an accident

Methamphetamine seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). COURTESY FILE PHOTO, DEA
Drug-ring leader with ties to Kent man faces federal charges

Man transported last month from Mexico to U.S.; Kent man sentenced on similar charges

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police investigate death of woman found at downtown park

Renton woman, 48, had head injury when located early Feb. 11 at Kaibara Park; injured man also found

t
Kent mayor plans State of the City address at new facility

Will deliver speech March 19 at Kent East Hill Operations Center

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Medical examiner identifies man fatally stabbed in Kent

27-year-old man died from stab wound of chest at West Hill apartment complex

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph could see her salary go up in 2026 to $20,000 per month, a 9.2% increase. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Proposal would boost Kent mayor’s annual salary to $240,000

A 9.2% increase from current pay of $219,720; City Council pay to remain the same

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Man, 26, fatally stabbed at Kent West Hill apartment complex

Officers responded early Saturday morning, Feb. 7 to the 25700 block of 27th Place South

Courtesy File Photo, U.S. Immigration and Customs
Kent School District issues staff protocols for ICE

Message aims to prepare staff should immigration authorities appear at or near schools

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Train strikes, kills Kent man, 64, in wheelchair on tracks

Feb. 4 incident at East James Street second death by train in three days in Kent

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police Blotter: Jan. 12-18

Incidents include attempted robbery, carjackings

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent woman standing on tracks struck and killed by train | Update

Woman identified; reportedly waving at train Feb. 2 in the 1000 block of First Avenue North