Heat from a garage fire damaged two homes and several trees Sunday in the 22000 block of 103rd Place Southeast.
The fire was reported at 4:30 p.m., and a black column of smoke could be seen for miles, according to a Puget Sound Fire media release.
When firefighters from the Puget Sound and Renton RFAs arrived, the 40-by-40-foot garage was fully engulfed in flames. The radiant heat from the fire melted the siding of a neighbor’s house 75 feet away and scorched nearby trees.
No one was injured and the residence on the property, which was 40 feet from the garage, only sustained minor heat damage. The reason for the damage being greater on the home further away was most likely due to the wind direction blowing the heat toward it, according to Puget Sound Fire.
Investigators determined that the fire was caused by a lithium battery charger that malfunctioned. The fire is considered accidental.