Graduation ceremonies for all Kent School District high schools will be in July at each school site.
Here is the lineup for the Class of 2020 as announced June 19 by the Kent School District on its website:
* Kent-Meridian High School: Tuesday, July 7
* iGrad: Tuesday, July 7
* Kentwood High School: Wednesday, July 8
* Kent Mountain View Academy: Thursday, July 9
* Kent Phoenix Academy: Thursday, July 9
* Kentlake High School: Friday, July 10
* Kentridge High School: Saturday, July 11
* The Outreach Program: Tuesday, July 14
The ceremonies will replace the cancelled graduations in June at the accesso ShoWare Center and other venues because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Gov. Jay Inslee closed all schools in the state in March because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
The individual graduation ceremonies at each school will honor candidates for graduation and provide an opportunity to walk across the stage with four family members watching and receive their diploma cover while wearing their cap and gown. Photos will be taken for the virtual graduation ceremony. Additionally, professional photos of each graduate will be available for purchase.
To ensure social distancing guidelines are followed, arrival times will be spread out at each school, families will receive a schedule from their principal with specific arrival times, traffic directions and detailed instructions for the event.
The public is asked to avoid high school campuses during the ceremony to help ensure there is no violation of state and county guidelines for this event.
Social distancing guidelines
To ensure social distancing while honoring the seniors, families will comply with the following procedures:
* Students and their families will arrive in a single vehicle at the designated time. Families and students are encouraged to decorate their vehicles. The graduate’s name will be clearly posted in the passenger side window. Families will follow the map provided by each individual school that will show where to enter the school grounds and the route to follow.
* Families will drive to a designated area where there will be a stage and a family viewing area.
* Families will remain in the vehicle until told to exit.
* When directed, students will proceed to the stage where they will have their name read aloud and they will walk across the stage to receive their diploma. A professional photographer will be present to take photos.
* Students will also receive a Commencement Program to remember this important milestone.
* Families may exit their vehicle to view their student walking across the stage, and they must remain in the area designated for this purpose. Families are not to leave this area.
* Students and families will then re-enter the vehicle and proceed off campus using the designated route.
For more information, contact the student’s high school.