Kent officers cleared in July 7 shooting of domestic-violence suspect: Local update

Three Kent Police officers have been cleared by an inquest jury, for the July 7 shooting of a domestic-violence suspect in Kent. The Kent Reporter will have a local story later today on the findings of the inquest jury. Here is the Seattle Times story on the event.

(This is a local story that replaces a story posted earlier today from another news source.)

Three Kent Police officers were found to have reacted to an imminent threat, in the wake of a July 7 shooting of a domestic-violence suspect.

An inquest jury this week determined that officers Tom Riener, Mike Schanbacher and Trent Percy had reason to believe that Kent resident Mayceo Devangari was putting them in harm’s way, when Devangari reached into his pants pocket after a lengthy standoff with officers, and after telling them he had a gun.

The officers opened fire, killing Devangari, 42. The object Devangari was reaching for was later determined to be a flashlight.

Inquest juries are typically convened when a police officer uses deadly force, and they work by seeking answers to a series of questions, as opposed to determining a verdict. They are one of the last steps in the investigative process that goes into a shooting.

The inquest jury’s unanimous decision, along with the paperwork of the investigation, now go to the King County Prosecutor for a final determination, according to Kent Police Sgt. Pat Lowery.

Lowery, speaking Friday, expressed the general reaction of his department to the inquest finding.

“It was very good news,” he said. “It’s a really nice way to close a chapter on a pretty stressful event.”

All three officers are seasoned veterans on the force: Lowery noted Riener has been with Kent for close to 20 years, Schanbacher has been there for nearly 13, and Percy more than five years.

“They’re all tenured, experienced officers,” Lowery said. “All of them have a good reputation, not just as police officers, but as decision-makers.”

The three officers were part of a manhunt in Kent July 7 after Devangari reportedly attacked a woman in Kent, then fled. Officers located him in the 23800 block of 98th Avenue South, where he climbed up a water tower. He then threatened to jump, and also told police negotiators that he had a gun.

After about two hours of negotiations with police, Devangari climbed down, reportedly to give himself up.

But he seemingly changed his mind after reaching the ground, and threatened the approaching officers.

When he reached into his pants pocket, officers opened fire.

The three officers will remain on administrative leave until the investigation is finished and a final decision is made by the King County Prosecutor.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

A pond is one of the features at Kaibara Park, an half-acre park in downtown Kent near the Kent Library. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Woman found dead at downtown Kent park died of drug overdose

King County Medical Examiner’s Office rules Feb. 11 death an accident

Methamphetamine seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). COURTESY FILE PHOTO, DEA
Drug-ring leader with ties to Kent man faces federal charges

Man transported last month from Mexico to U.S.; Kent man sentenced on similar charges

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police investigate death of woman found at downtown park

Renton woman, 48, had head injury when located early Feb. 11 at Kaibara Park; injured man also found

t
Kent mayor plans State of the City address at new facility

Will deliver speech March 19 at Kent East Hill Operations Center

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Medical examiner identifies man fatally stabbed in Kent

27-year-old man died from stab wound of chest at West Hill apartment complex

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph could see her salary go up in 2026 to $20,000 per month, a 9.2% increase. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Proposal would boost Kent mayor’s annual salary to $240,000

A 9.2% increase from current pay of $219,720; City Council pay to remain the same

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Man, 26, fatally stabbed at Kent West Hill apartment complex

Officers responded early Saturday morning, Feb. 7 to the 25700 block of 27th Place South

Courtesy File Photo, U.S. Immigration and Customs
Kent School District issues staff protocols for ICE

Message aims to prepare staff should immigration authorities appear at or near schools

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Train strikes, kills Kent man, 64, in wheelchair on tracks

Feb. 4 incident at East James Street second death by train in three days in Kent

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police Blotter: Jan. 12-18

Incidents include attempted robbery, carjackings

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent woman standing on tracks struck and killed by train | Update

Woman identified; reportedly waving at train Feb. 2 in the 1000 block of First Avenue North

Image courtesy King County Sheriff's Office
Super Bowl patrols underway as part of ‘Night of 1,000 Stars’ campaign

Emphasis patrols will be active in King County to encourage safe driving