Kent resident Stefano Langone moves on in ‘American Idol’: See the original audition tape!

He overcame a life-threatening car accident that landed him in a wheelchair and left scars on his arms and legs. It could have either broken his spirit - or made him hungrier to live life to the fullest. Kent resident Stefano Langone chose the latter route. The 21-year-old Kentwood High School graduate is now about to take that drive to succeed all the way to Hollywood.

Editor’s note: Kent’s Stefano Langone has made it through the initial “American Idol” round Thursday night in Hollywood. He now moves on to the next round. Stay tuned for updates to this breaking story.

He overcame a life-threatening car accident that landed him in a wheelchair and left scars on his arms and legs.

It could have either broken his spirit – or made him hungrier to live life to the fullest.

Kent resident Stefano Langone chose the latter route.

The 21-year-old Kentwood High School graduate is now about to take that drive to succeed all the way to Hollywood.

After a stellar audition in San Francisco, televised Wednesday night, Langone is now a finalist in “American Idol.”

He’ll be performing alongside the nation’s top talent 8 p.m. tonight on Fox.

Langone performed a spot-on version of Marvin Gaye’s “Heard It Through the Grapevine” in Wednesday’s broadcast to “Idol” judges Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson.

All three were blown away with the Kent man’s power and style.

“You’re definitely here for a reason,” Lopez said. “I think you have real star quality. You have movie-star good looks, and then on top of that, your voice has a nice tone to it.”

“Stefano, very nice, man,” Jackson said. “Very nice, dude.”

Tyler, acknowledging the accident that nearly killed Langone and his fire to succeed, broke the big news, as Langone excitedly listened.

“You survived that accident, and I’m about to tell you why,” Tyler said. “You’re going to Hollywood.”

Langone earlier had explained to the three what had transpired on that fateful day of May 28, 2009.

“I woke up to a firefighter, and I’ll never forget – he looked down at me and screamed to the EMTs, ‘He’s alive! He’s alive!

“It’s been a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where I am.”

And now he’s going to Hollywood, hoping for the biggest break in his life.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

A pond is one of the features at Kaibara Park, an half-acre park in downtown Kent near the Kent Library. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Woman found dead at downtown Kent park died of drug overdose

King County Medical Examiner’s Office rules Feb. 11 death an accident

Methamphetamine seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). COURTESY FILE PHOTO, DEA
Drug-ring leader with ties to Kent man faces federal charges

Man transported last month from Mexico to U.S.; Kent man sentenced on similar charges

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police investigate death of woman found at downtown park

Renton woman, 48, had head injury when located early Feb. 11 at Kaibara Park; injured man also found

t
Kent mayor plans State of the City address at new facility

Will deliver speech March 19 at Kent East Hill Operations Center

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Medical examiner identifies man fatally stabbed in Kent

27-year-old man died from stab wound of chest at West Hill apartment complex

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph could see her salary go up in 2026 to $20,000 per month, a 9.2% increase. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Proposal would boost Kent mayor’s annual salary to $240,000

A 9.2% increase from current pay of $219,720; City Council pay to remain the same

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Man, 26, fatally stabbed at Kent West Hill apartment complex

Officers responded early Saturday morning, Feb. 7 to the 25700 block of 27th Place South

Courtesy File Photo, U.S. Immigration and Customs
Kent School District issues staff protocols for ICE

Message aims to prepare staff should immigration authorities appear at or near schools

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Train strikes, kills Kent man, 64, in wheelchair on tracks

Feb. 4 incident at East James Street second death by train in three days in Kent

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police Blotter: Jan. 12-18

Incidents include attempted robbery, carjackings

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent woman standing on tracks struck and killed by train | Update

Woman identified; reportedly waving at train Feb. 2 in the 1000 block of First Avenue North

Image courtesy King County Sheriff's Office
Super Bowl patrols underway as part of ‘Night of 1,000 Stars’ campaign

Emphasis patrols will be active in King County to encourage safe driving