King County assessor attacks Trump’s proposed Census Bureau cuts

  • Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:23pm
  • News
King County assessor attacks Trump’s proposed Census Bureau cuts

King County Assessor John Wilson criticized the Trump administration for proposed large cuts in the Census Bureau budget.

“The budget for the Census Bureau proposed by the Trump administration is completely inadequate and puts an accurate census at risk,” said Wilson, speaking on Sunday at the annual conference of the National Association of Counties in Columbus, Ohio. “Nearly $600 billion annually in federal funding is driven by census data, including programs related to health, housing, nutrition, employment, and education. County officials must contact members of Congress and urge them to fully fund the 2020 census.”

The Trump 2018 budget for the census proposes to spend $140 million less than what the Census Bureau requested for 2017, according to a media release from Wilson. In past decades the budget for the census has sometimes doubled between the year ending in 7 and the year ending in 8 as it ramps up for the decennial count.

Wilson made his remarks as part of a panel of county officials discussing the census. Wilson has a long history of leadership on this issue. He had been invited to be a panelist on the census by both the National Association of Counties, and the International Association of Assessing Officials. In 2010 the Census Bureau asked Wilson, as King County’s chief deputy assessor, to participate in a pilot program in support of their new TIGER system, which was designed to describe land attributes such as roads, buildings, rivers, and lakes.

“An accurate 2020 Census count is essential for counties,”Wilson said. “The most important use of the census is for apportionment of representatives in Congress, but Census data are used for planning and allocation of billions of dollars in federal and non-profit funding each year. In terms of fairness, democracy, opportunity and addressing the many issues the nation faces, a fair and accurate Census is paramount, and that won’t happen without adequate funding.”




Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

COURTESY FILE PHOTO, Kent School District
Kent teachers could be let go if enough don’t leave

District may target new teachers due to budget cuts; incentive offered for early notice of resignation, retirement

A pond is one of the features at Kaibara Park, an half-acre park in downtown Kent near the Kent Library. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Woman found dead at downtown Kent park died of drug overdose

King County Medical Examiner’s Office rules Feb. 11 death an accident

Methamphetamine seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). COURTESY FILE PHOTO, DEA
Drug-ring leader with ties to Kent man faces federal charges

Man transported last month from Mexico to U.S.; Kent man sentenced on similar charges

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police investigate death of woman found at downtown park

Renton woman, 48, had head injury when located early Feb. 11 at Kaibara Park; injured man also found

t
Kent mayor plans State of the City address at new facility

Will deliver speech March 19 at Kent East Hill Operations Center

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Medical examiner identifies man fatally stabbed in Kent

27-year-old man died from stab wound of chest at West Hill apartment complex

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph could see her salary go up in 2026 to $20,000 per month, a 9.2% increase. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Proposal would boost Kent mayor’s annual salary to $240,000

A 9.2% increase from current pay of $219,720; City Council pay to remain the same

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Man, 26, fatally stabbed at Kent West Hill apartment complex

Officers responded early Saturday morning, Feb. 7 to the 25700 block of 27th Place South

Courtesy File Photo, U.S. Immigration and Customs
Kent School District issues staff protocols for ICE

Message aims to prepare staff should immigration authorities appear at or near schools

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Train strikes, kills Kent man, 64, in wheelchair on tracks

Feb. 4 incident at East James Street second death by train in three days in Kent

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police Blotter: Jan. 12-18

Incidents include attempted robbery, carjackings

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent woman standing on tracks struck and killed by train | Update

Woman identified; reportedly waving at train Feb. 2 in the 1000 block of First Avenue North