Man sentenced to 25 years in prison for distribution of child pornography

Richard Flores, 58, of Seattle was sentenced today in U.S. District Court to 25 years in prison and lifetime supervised release for distribution of child pornography, announced U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan.

  • BY Wire Service
  • Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:48am
  • News

Richard Flores, 58, of Seattle was sentenced today in U.S. District Court to 25 years in prison and lifetime supervised release for distribution of child pornography, announced U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan.

Flores pleaded guilty in November 2011.  Flores was previously convicted in King County Superior Court in 1997 of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes, for the molestation of two young girls.  U.S. District Judge Richard A. Jones said Flores had engaged in “sexual terrorism” against his young victims.  “No matter what sentence I impose,” the judge told Flores, “it will pale in comparison to the life of pain you imposed on your young victims.”

According to the plea agreement, Flores was employed by the Seattle Times as a clerk in the finance department.  Flores admitted that in February and March 2011, while at work, he downloaded child pornography onto his work computer.  Flores transferred the child pornography to an external thumb drive and later distributed the child pornography using his Yahoo Flickr account.  Law enforcement found about 6,800 images and videos on the thumb drive.

Flores was terminated by the Seattle Times shortly after detectives followed up on information from the internet service provider about the explicit materials downloaded to Flores’ work computer.

“This investigation revealed what we find all too often in these cases, that child pornography suspects are often involved in the actual sexual abuse of children.” said Brad Bench, acting special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in Seattle. “Children have the right to be safe from predators. That’s why we will continue to vigorously investigate these cases and seek justice for the victims.” Prosecutors had asked for a sentence of 27 years in prison.  “There is an overriding need to protect the public in this case.  He is a dangerous man, and continues to harbor deviant fantasies involving the sexual exploitation of children.  There is no reason to believe he will ever stop preying on children if he is released.  Similarly, deterrence is an important factor here — not only for this defendant, but for the public at large, and any other individual who might be tempted to sexually abuse children,” prosecutors wrote in their sentencing memo.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, Flores must register as a sex offender when released from prison.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice. Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov.

The case was investigated by the Seattle Police Department and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations (ICE-HSI).

The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Jerrod Patterson.  Patterson coordinates Project Safe Childhood for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

COURTESY FILE PHOTO, Kent School District
Kent teachers could be let go if enough don’t leave

District may target new teachers due to budget cuts; incentive offered for early notice of resignation, retirement

A pond is one of the features at Kaibara Park, an half-acre park in downtown Kent near the Kent Library. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Woman found dead at downtown Kent park died of drug overdose

King County Medical Examiner’s Office rules Feb. 11 death an accident

Methamphetamine seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). COURTESY FILE PHOTO, DEA
Drug-ring leader with ties to Kent man faces federal charges

Man transported last month from Mexico to U.S.; Kent man sentenced on similar charges

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police investigate death of woman found at downtown park

Renton woman, 48, had head injury when located early Feb. 11 at Kaibara Park; injured man also found

t
Kent mayor plans State of the City address at new facility

Will deliver speech March 19 at Kent East Hill Operations Center

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Medical examiner identifies man fatally stabbed in Kent

27-year-old man died from stab wound of chest at West Hill apartment complex

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph could see her salary go up in 2026 to $20,000 per month, a 9.2% increase. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Proposal would boost Kent mayor’s annual salary to $240,000

A 9.2% increase from current pay of $219,720; City Council pay to remain the same

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Man, 26, fatally stabbed at Kent West Hill apartment complex

Officers responded early Saturday morning, Feb. 7 to the 25700 block of 27th Place South

Courtesy File Photo, U.S. Immigration and Customs
Kent School District issues staff protocols for ICE

Message aims to prepare staff should immigration authorities appear at or near schools

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Train strikes, kills Kent man, 64, in wheelchair on tracks

Feb. 4 incident at East James Street second death by train in three days in Kent

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police Blotter: Jan. 12-18

Incidents include attempted robbery, carjackings

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent woman standing on tracks struck and killed by train | Update

Woman identified; reportedly waving at train Feb. 2 in the 1000 block of First Avenue North