Nine Kent schools celebrated anniversary milestones this year, including the 60th anniversary of Scenic Hill Elementary.
“The 60th anniversary of Scenic Hill marks a joyous time for our school community,” Principal Harjeet Sandhu-Fuller said in a Kent School District statement. “It is a time to celebrate and give thanks to all those individuals that have contributed to the success of our school.
“It is also a time to reflect on all that has changed over the years. However, one thing has not changed, our purpose — to be a place where children are inspired to learn and where they thrive as individuals, a place filled with young people who care about each other and about making the world a better place.”
Scenic Hill, 26025 Woodland Way S., opened in 1960 with Don Whitener as principal. Student population in the district had doubled to 5,506 in 1960 from 2,470 in 1950.
School anniversary milestones
• Scenic Hill Elementary School (60 years)
• Cedar Valley Elementary (50 years)
• Meeker Middle School (50 years)
• Grass Lake Elementary (50 years)
• Crestwood Elementary (40 years)
• Neely-O’Brien Elementary (30 years)
• Carriage Crest Elementary School (30 years)
• Horizon Elementary (30 years)
• Millennium Elementary (20 years)
For more information about the history of each school, go to the Kent School District website at kent.k12.wa.