WRESTLING: New look at Kent-Meridian

The pillars of the Kent-Meridian High wrestling program graduated last spring. Jesus Valdez, Nick Lemmon, Andrew Smith and Thomas Reinhart — four of the South Puget Sound League North Division’s top wrestlers last season — have moved on. “You have four outstanding kids. They were so exceptional, natural leaders,” said Kent-Meridian coach Todd Owens.

  • BY Wire Service
  • Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:40pm
  • NewsSports

The pillars of the Kent-Meridian High wrestling program graduated last spring.

Jesus Valdez, Nick Lemmon, Andrew Smith and Thomas Reinhart — four of the South Puget Sound League North Division’s top wrestlers last season — have moved on.

“You have four outstanding kids. They were so exceptional, natural leaders,” said Kent-Meridian coach Todd Owens.

Yet, the Royals have reason to be optimistic. Today, as the wrestling season begins to unfold, Owens will be looking to some fresh faces to take over where the Royals left off a year ago. Owens is fully aware of how tough it will be to replace the elite grapplers who left, but also realizes that there’s still strong talent on the K-M mat.

That talent begins with standouts Luke Barzie (171 pounds) and Jean-Claude Atkinson (285). Both wrestlers emerged last season, particularly during the league and regional tournaments. Barzie, a senior, took second at the league tournament last winter and third at regionals. He finished with a 30-10 overall record. Atkinson, who posted a 32-11 mark last season, placed third at both the league and regional tournament.

Now, it’s time for the two to step up even further.

“They’re going to have good years,” Owens said. “They’re very key (for our success).”

Indeed. Because while the numbers remain low at Kent-Meridian, which received a turnout in the low 30s, there’s decent talent to help the Royals to continue to build. And that building process begins with Barzie, a strong and wiry 171 pounder, and Atkinson, who for now will be competing at 285 pounds, up from 215 last year.

“(Atkinson) could get down to 215 if he’s really committed,” said Owens, noting that Atkinson entered the week weighing in at 242.

Despite the jump in weight, Atkinson already has enjoyed considerable success in the sport’s largest weight class. Two weeks ago, during the Chief Sealth Invitational, Atkinson overpowered his opponents culminating in a 19-5 major decision win over Conor Leeds of Roosevelt for the title. Atkinson’s success continued last weekend at the Decatur Invitational, where he outlasted Nathan Meeks of Kentlake for the championship, 3-2.

“He looked pretty solid at the Decatur tournament,” Owens noted.

And while the numbers at K-M are small, there’s more talent — and young talent at that — behind Atkinson and Barzie. Of note is the return of sophomore Thomas Kemp (152/160), who just missed qualifying for the regional tournament last year and finished with a 25-15 overall record. In addition, sophomore Joshua Smith, whose older brothers Chris, Aaron and Andrew all were state-caliber wrestlers for K-M, also has returned. In limited action last year, Smith compiled a 15-10 record, which included a fifth-place finish at the league tournament.

“He has a good chance at making it to state this year,” Owens said.

Meanwhile, John Nguyen (140), who took last season off from wrestling, has returned and hardly showed any rust at the Chief Sealth Invitational, bringing home a solid third-place finish.

And while the numbers are low for the boys at K-M, the Royals do return more female wrestlers than any team in the North Division. That group is led by two-time state qualifier Elizabeth Stone (112) and Jacklyn Nagy (171). Adding to the depth for the girls will be Maggie Hoyman (125), Heaven Hamilton (171) and Izzy Kasabiti (171).

“They’re excited to go,” Owens said.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

A pond is one of the features at Kaibara Park, an half-acre park in downtown Kent near the Kent Library. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Woman found dead at downtown Kent park died of drug overdose

King County Medical Examiner’s Office rules Feb. 11 death an accident

Methamphetamine seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). COURTESY FILE PHOTO, DEA
Drug-ring leader with ties to Kent man faces federal charges

Man transported last month from Mexico to U.S.; Kent man sentenced on similar charges

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police investigate death of woman found at downtown park

Renton woman, 48, had head injury when located early Feb. 11 at Kaibara Park; injured man also found

t
Kent mayor plans State of the City address at new facility

Will deliver speech March 19 at Kent East Hill Operations Center

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Medical examiner identifies man fatally stabbed in Kent

27-year-old man died from stab wound of chest at West Hill apartment complex

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph could see her salary go up in 2026 to $20,000 per month, a 9.2% increase. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Proposal would boost Kent mayor’s annual salary to $240,000

A 9.2% increase from current pay of $219,720; City Council pay to remain the same

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Man, 26, fatally stabbed at Kent West Hill apartment complex

Officers responded early Saturday morning, Feb. 7 to the 25700 block of 27th Place South

Courtesy File Photo, U.S. Immigration and Customs
Kent School District issues staff protocols for ICE

Message aims to prepare staff should immigration authorities appear at or near schools

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Train strikes, kills Kent man, 64, in wheelchair on tracks

Feb. 4 incident at East James Street second death by train in three days in Kent

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent Police Blotter: Jan. 12-18

Incidents include attempted robbery, carjackings

File Photo, Kent Reporter
Kent woman standing on tracks struck and killed by train | Update

Woman identified; reportedly waving at train Feb. 2 in the 1000 block of First Avenue North

Image courtesy King County Sheriff's Office
Super Bowl patrols underway as part of ‘Night of 1,000 Stars’ campaign

Emphasis patrols will be active in King County to encourage safe driving